Cracked shell?

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Does my tortoise, I mean my son’s tortoise look okay? His shell looked dry and cracked5B4816D3-788A-493C-B3AF-0E12B9C77DDC.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Do you all give your tortoise a soaking in nice warm water every few days? They really do enjoy a nice soaking in warm water (not hot or cold) every few days. Just a few inches deep.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Do you all give your tortoise a soaking in nice warm water every few days? They really do enjoy a nice soaking in warm water (not hot or cold) every few days. Just a few inches deep.
Yes, I soak him every other day for about 15-20 minutes and he acts like Iʻm killing him. His substrate is coco coir/sphagnum moss/ repti bark. Humidity is 50%-70%.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Also, someone said the water level should be up to his chin and that bubbles coming out of his nose was him absorbing water through his chin? Iʻm new to this, but it doesnʻt sound right. Did I miss something about soaking? I have his warm water just above the bottom where his shell starts.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Also, someone said the water level should be up to his chin and that bubbles coming out of his nose was him absorbing water through his chin? Iʻm new to this, but it doesnʻt sound right. Did I miss something about soaking? I have his warm water just above the bottom where his shell starts.

How old is the tortoise, it looks like an adult in your picture. If it is an adult you only need to soak once a week. They don't absorb water through their chins that's just bad information. Soaking water should hit mid shell so that they can easily keep their face above water. Check out this care sheet below which should be helpful with any other questions you may have. I would reconsider using moss they are known to eat it which can cause an impaction. I use orchid bark for my indoor enclosure, cypress mulch is another good one. Let us know if you have any questions after reading the care sheet.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
How old is the tortoise, it looks like an adult in your picture. If it is an adult you only need to soak once a week. They don't absorb water through their chins that's just bad information. Soaking water should hit mid shell so that they can easily keep their face above water. Check out this care sheet below which should be helpful with any other questions you may have. I would reconsider using moss they are known to eat it which can cause an impaction. I use orchid bark for my indoor enclosure, cypress mulch is another good one. Let us know if you have any questions after reading the care sheet.

Yes, he’s an adult. Thank you!