cracks under shell and doesn't go in her water

Bethanie

Hey everyone. I have a 6 year old Russian tortoise named Anolea. I just picked her up and noticed a crack in the middle of her shell, not on top but under her. I always see little ones but I always guessed that she was growing. But I went on Google and made myself paranoid lol... also, she NEVER goes in her water. I clean it everyday and she has never once gone in it and I'm not sure why.. but she loves being soaked. any answers would be greatly appreciated. .
I will post pictures tomorrow as it is almost midnight right now..
Thank you..

A paranoid tortoise mom..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Quite a few of the Russian tortoises aren't fond of water. I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to make sure he's getting enough water, spritz some over his food every day.

I'll wait to see the pictures before I weigh in on the crack.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you soak her often, she won't feel the need to climb in by herself.
My Tidgy, though a Greek, is the same, she loves her baths and will sit there happily until I take her out, she stretches and ducks under, drinks, pees and farts(sometimes). But she also never gets in by herself, though she drinks from the edge.

Bethanie

Aww, Anolea loves her baths too, but she doesn't even go near her water to drink it..
I'm attaching a picture of the crack

20150501_105341.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's in an area of newe growth. I would dab on some Neosporin daily for a little while and see if you can't get it healed.

Peytons torts

That is normal all of my tortoises have those on the bottom of their shell and a little on the sides ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430533162.820830.jpg

Bethanie

I love tortoises I wish I could have more lol. Anyway, the crack that I'm talking about is right down the middle, above my thumb, I've been putting ointment on it and she's eating the same and doing everything the same. I'm still panicking lol.

Killerrookie

Put some Neosporin on it and if he is acting completely fine I would worry to much.