Tort shell

Kaden 17071

Location (City and/or State)
USA Virginia Stafford Fredericksburg
I have a Russian Tortoise named Carrot. She is Roughly a year old. I think this could be shell rot. I have been rubbing betadine on the affected spots for the past week, but I am not noticing any healing. I know that having cracks in her shell is the most common reason for shell rot but there are no cracks in her shell.

Attachments

• Turtle.jpg
    Turtle.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This russian is about six or eight years old.

Just an FYI for you and anyone reading this thread, Betadyne should be used just once to kill germs. Continued used inhibits the growth of white blood cells. Besides that, Betadyne has no effect on that type of shell scuffing. What you see is just scrapes where she's scuffing her shell on walls, fence, etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She is 6-8 years old? When I got her like a year ago the pet store said she was six months. But they were a chain store so I think its best to trust the experts
Pet stores think that because the tortoise is small it's a baby. They don't consider the fact that the russian tortoise IS a small species.

Here in the U.S. there's a federal regulation that says pet stores can't sell turtles or tortoises under 4" front to back. Because the russian is a small species, he won't reach 4" until he's five or six years of age.