Craigslist: Russian and Red Foot, housed in same enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
This is why I used pictures of a Russian and a Redfoot for my "Don't Mix Species" show sign...
A friend of mine keeps all her tortoises and turtles running around the yard together. Ugh. She was given a redfoot and let it out into the yard. Some months later she found it lying in the shade and went to move it into the sun. Poor thing was dead. I wasnt surprised like she was.. :/

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
Oh man..that's so upsetting. That's so sad..
Well I contacted this person and surprisingly the "son" picked up stating the information? He said they were housed in the enclosure all there lives (together) and had no problems.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Team Gomberg said:
This is why I used pictures of a Russian and a Redfoot for my "Don't Mix Species" show sign...
A friend of mine keeps all her tortoises and turtles running around the yard together. Ugh. She was given a redfoot and let it out into the yard. Some months later she found it lying in the shade and went to move it into the sun. Poor thing was dead. I wasnt surprised like she was.. :/

Heather

I'm missing the part where the redfoot dying was obviously caused by missing species.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
That's what I'm saying. I don't understand they have been able to thrive that long together. That red foot is a nice size.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Living together "all their lives" with no problems probably means the past six months since purchased at the pet store...
I'm assuming here but I've heard enough of this scenario to not be surprised if its true.

Heather

abclements

5 Year Member
Different tortoises being housed together doesn't always end up in death of one or both. Sometimes it works out fine and both live happily together... while I'm not saying what is happening is the "right" way to do things nor am I saying that things always work out, I am saying that it is possible that things worked out fine for both torts. We shouldn't jump to conclusions and assume these torts are going to have problems until we have all the facts. He may have been mislead and it's not fair of us to get upset with him unless we find out that he did this knowing fully the consequences of his actions. I think that despite the care differences, he managed to keep both of them looking pretty healthy so obviously he cared for them at least decently.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Craigslist: Russian and Red Foot, housed in same enclosure?

jaizei said:
Team Gomberg said:

Heather

I'm missing the part where the redfoot dying was obviously caused by missing species.

This is because I didn't include all the details.
I wrote up a long post with info but decided against it. Can't take back what you say or type on the internet.

If the new buyer keeps them together maybe they will be just fine, or maybe not.

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.