Creative Grazing idea for naturally grown foods!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Okay! so i was walking through tractor supply today and i saw all these seed mixes that are mostly clovers and things. I was like, those would be great mixes for the torts to be able to naturally graze through.

then i thought well as the sprouts pop up they will eat it so it wont really grow and bam it hit me. I took the bottoms of flower pots, like the things you put underneath to hold extra water. i filled them with dirt and put one of the clover mixes on them. (the one i bought was just all different clovers. but there are mixes there that have other goodies for them to eat) i made 3 of them. they are starting to grow nicely and kinda fast actually. my idea was to have a few mad up and growing not just one so as they graze though one you can just change it out. cause if you plant it in with them it never really gets to grow. this was its a controlled amount and everything. esp if you have to go away on vacation for a few days. if you have a few made up that can feed them for the days your gone.

maybe im over excited about this but its rare i have good ideas and this one is working out nicely. ill post a few pics when they grow a bit more. but its so simple.
its just a tray, plain top soil (unfertilized), and the animal seed mix....add water and bam you have an easily changeable forage field for your torts to naturally feed on..

im sure someone else is already doing this, but i just thought id throw it out there.

hope it helps others as much as its working for me :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a great idea. Sorry to say though, it has been thought of before. Not only have I done it, bit others too. I didn't use the same container as you though, so that's new:D It always nice to have a good idea brought up again though, so thanks for the reminder:)

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
i figured others have done it but i was excited haha. i dont get on here to much so i haven't really explored much to find stuff like that. i mostly only get on to ask questions because life is so hectic right now haha.

my only problem now is to figure out how to change the water out every day while im on vacation in a few weeks. i thought about putting one of those cat things in there. the ones that you plug in and its like a waterfall cause those filter the water. i only going to be gone 5 days but im still concerned.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I have left for three days, I just fill my leopards dish upto the tippy top. He doesn't usually drink every day. The cat thing might work if they can't get into it and drown. Also, you might try the green hairy looking balls they sell for keeping water clean. They really work. I use it for my frogs water. However, I'm not sure if a tort will try to eat it or not. They look like the attached pic and called Moss Ball.
Might want to try it while your home first to see if the tort will leave it alone.
c64785be1048b5222c31771816c52aa9.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It's great that you have discovered this!
It is always a good idea to remind everyone about good ideas.

well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.