Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Hey guys,

Hopefully there are people here that know about native creek fish because I am just scratching my head on this one.

I thought it to be a sucker, but after catching it, I know that it is not. To make matters worse, the dang thing has teeth.

Has anyone ever seen a fish like this?

resize1jpg.jpg

resizejpg.jpg

I've posted on other fish forums but have come up empty handed. Any thoughts would be great!!

Thanks,

ARKelly

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
It looks like a plecastomous ( not spelled right...) aquarium fish you can get in the stores..maybe it survived a release? Contact Fish and Game where you live...Little Rock 501-223-6300

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Laura said:
It looks like a plecastomous ( not spelled right...) aquarium fish you can get in the stores..maybe it survived a release? Contact Fish and Game where you live...Little Rock 501-223-6300

Hey Laura,

I thought the same thing at first so that is why I thought it was a sucker, but it does not have a sucker mouth and again, it has teeth.

I have already caught 3 more and there are lots more where they came from. I would just love to put a name to it.

I will call game and fish and see what they have to say.

Thanks again,

ARKelly

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
it looks like it might be a darter of the genus Etheostoma
tough to find good pictures of other fish though. the DFG should be able to tell you exactly what it is

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
josh said:
it looks like it might be a darter of the genus Etheostoma
tough to find good pictures of other fish though. the DFG should be able to tell you exactly what it is

I thought darter too, in body, but the head, mouth and eyes look nothing like the darters I have in my tank right now. I also do not think darters have teeth, do they? LOL

I do not like the teeth, can't you tell? :( LOL

ARKelly

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What you have there, Kelly, is a sculpin. Where does your creek originate at? We used catch these when trout fishing in Michigan. I believe they are common in trout streams because there is a trout fly called a sculpin (which works well for trout and smallmouth).

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Itort said:
What you have there, Kelly, is a sculpin. Where does your creek originate at? We used catch these when trout fishing in Michigan. I believe they are common in trout streams because there is a trout fly called a sculpin (which works well for trout and smallmouth).

Oh my gosh Larry! Thank you so much. I have done so much research that I was going blind and I was coming up with nothing!

Our creek basically originates from the the start of our property, but it feeds war eagle creek which goes into the white river and then finally, beaver lake. Most of the fish we get come up stream. Course, our creek is spring fed so it is VERY cold. LOL No trout though. :p

I guess I better take them out of my tank and turn them loose now. I have no intentions on catching larva. LOL

Thanks again Larry and Michael.

ARKelly

Status
Not open for further replies.