CREEKSTONE pond pumps sold at HARBOR FREIGHT

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've previously mentioned that I have a few medium sized (small?) fish ponds.
I've been using various filters. Some of my own design. And various pumps. Mostly by BECKET and SMARTPOND.
SMARTPOND is pretty awful and my last one is now out of warranty.
Recently at HARBOR FREIGHT I found these CREEKSTONE pumps. They're $89 regular price and are rated at 2,500gph.
The SMARTPOND were $200 and 2,000 gph.
I'm going to be placing these into debris bags which greatly extend the life of the pump because they pre filter some of the larger particles.
I'll do a longterm update later on. But right now, these seem pretty legitimate

Attachments

• 20220411_183432.jpg
    20220411_183432.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220411_183440.jpg
    20220411_183440.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220411_183442.jpg
    20220411_183442.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck.
I always bought the Rio water pumps. Never had much problems. They usually lasted a long time, but I only ran them about 6-7 summer months of the year.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good luck.
I always bought the Rio water pumps. Never had much problems. They usually lasted a long time, but I only ran them about 6-7 summer months of the year.
These seem to be more powerful than the 800cfm BECKET pumps that I use for other water features. But are definitely less powerful than the old 2,000 gph SMARTPONDs.
So, they're probably not actually 2,500 gph and I'm going to very give them an unscientific rating of maybe 1,600 gph.
Now, to see how long they last....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok.
An update.
While these pumps have now proven to be reliable. I also should report that they have less flow than advertised and are of higher wattage than comparable pumps. Like those made by Becket.
I've actually seen an increase in my electric bill. Something I just don't see when I install a second or third Becket pump. (I mean single digits.)
These Harbor Freight pumps take quite a bit more electricity. And that might be an issue. Especially in states we're electricity is more expensive than it is here.
The increase in the per month electricity usage would negate ALL of the savings of buying these cheaper pumps very quickly.
So, its for this reason that I no longer reccomend them to be used as continuous duty pumps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn, I don't need higher bills. I was hoping they were the find of a life time. Oh well, I'll stick to what I usually buy for now.
Thanks for the update.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i've used laguna pumps since 2012 , before that i used exterior pumps like waterway....... i run 7 of them 24/7/365 , and have never had one fail yet ...... i've dug a deep spot in all the ponds where i wanted to pull the water from .... put the pump in it , made a cover out of stainles mesh #2-120 with a rod frame ..... i then covered the mesh with coarse mat filter media and large gravel .......... couple of these pumps i've never uncovered since day one ........ i used the filter bag , that did clog pretty quickly .....

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
i've used laguna pumps since 2012 , before that i used exterior pumps like waterway....... i run 7 of them 24/7/365 , and have never had one fail yet ...... i've dug a deep spot in all the ponds where i wanted to pull the water from .... put the pump in it , made a cover out of stainles mesh #2-120 with a rod frame ..... i then covered the mesh with coarse mat filter media and large gravel .......... couple of these pumps i've never uncovered since day one ........ i used the filter bag , that did clog pretty quickly .....
Laguna seems to be top notch