Crimson and Strawberry Clovers

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Guys! I've been looking for the good weeds (plants or seeds) for our babies, but guess may have to give up on Plantain & Chicory, I think it's too hot for them in my climate zone. Will have to wait till spring for the Dandelions to go to seed so I can collect them for planting in the tortoise habitat. The good news is that I have finally found some clover seeds in my local stores but the pictures don't look like the clovers I remember seeing all over in Europe. The ones I got are Crimson Clover (Trifolium incarnatum), and Strawberry Clover (Trifolium fragiferum). I'll study the cultivation guides for my area and try to give it a go in the area of my garden where the babies' future outdoor enclosure will be constructed, but before I do I wanted to run this by the plant experts here to make sure these particular types of Trifolium are ok for baby RF torts.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Guys! I've been looking for the good weeds (plants or seeds) for our babies, but guess may have to give up on Plantain & Chicory, I think it's too hot for them in my climate zone. Will have to wait till spring for the Dandelions to go to seed so I can collect them for planting in the tortoise habitat. The good news is that I have finally found some clover seeds in my local stores but the pictures don't look like the clovers I remember seeing all over in Europe. The ones I got are Crimson Clover (Trifolium incarnatum), and Strawberry Clover (Trifolium fragiferum). I'll study the cultivation guides for my area and try to give it a go in the area of my garden where the babies' future outdoor enclosure will be constructed, but before I do I wanted to run this by the plant experts here to make sure these particular types of Trifolium are ok for baby RF torts.

Both edible for tort as well as human, just don't eat wilted or moldy/fuzzy clover..not so good.

Prairie Mom

I'm surprised about your plantain and chicory. I suppose you could always try growing them in a shadier area. I also wanted to mention that I have had the best success growing chicory and dandelions (same plant family) by not burying the seeds at all. I've gotten really dependable results by growing them on top of a thin layer of coco coir or peat moss over soil. I've had the best seed germination when I didn't bury the seeds at all, but regularly misted them to keep them wet with a spray bottle.

I also just want to throw out there that I've tried Crimson clover and have had a hard time getting it to grow well. It could be my particular seeds, but I've heard this from one other member. If you get yours to grow, please tag me and share your resuts! Thanks:D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Both edible for tort as well as human, just don't eat wilted or moldy/fuzzy clover..not so good.
Thanks, that's what I thought but those babies are so small that I really want to avoid any chance of exposing them to things that ingested may cause belly ache and such:)

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'm surprised about your plantain and chicory. I suppose you could always try growing them in a shadier area. I also wanted to mention that I have had the best success growing chicory and dandelions (same plant family) by not burying the seeds at all. I've gotten really dependable results by growing them on top of a thin layer of coco coir or peat moss over soil. I've had the best seed germination when I didn't bury the seeds at all, but regularly misted them to keep them wet with a spray bottle.

I also just want to throw out there that I've tried Crimson clover and have had a hard time getting it to grow well. It could be my particular seeds, but I've heard this from one other member. If you get yours to grow, please tag me and share your resuts! Thanks:D
Thanks, that's how plant my seeds, just throw them, no raking, no fuss, what grows, grows. Things that grow have proven to be made for this climate thus require less extra work. Planting and watering is really all I have the time to do with just occasional pulling few weeds from my front flower beds, and pruning shrubs and perennials once a year. As it is this is plenty of work for me while trying to keep 3 young children, house, job and pets. About the cooler climate weeds/herbs: here in Texas temp reach high 90's (maybe more) in summer months. I have NEVER seen chicory or plantains grow anywhere around. Not to say that I wouldn't try if I can get my hands on pack of seeds:) My animal habitats tend to be created as sustainable tiny ecosystems. I like the idea of "natural, organic, healthy, back to basics". I'll keep looking around nurseries/feed stores, online is my last resort. Thank you for taking your time to respond

Prairie Mom

Thanks, that's how plant my seeds, just throw them, no raking, no fuss, what grows, grows. Things that grow have proven to be made for this climate thus require less extra work. Planting and watering is really all I have the time to do with just occasional pulling few weeds from my front flower beds, and pruning shrubs and perennials once a year. As it is this is plenty of work for me while trying to keep 3 young children, house, job and pets. About the cooler climate weeds/herbs: here in Texas temp reach high 90's (maybe more) in summer months. I have NEVER seen chicory or plantains grow anywhere around. Not to say that I wouldn't try if I can get my hands on pack of seeds:) My animal habitats tend to be created as sustainable tiny ecosystems. I like the idea of "natural, organic, healthy, back to basics". I'll keep looking around nurseries/feed stores, online is my last resort. Thank you for taking your time to respond
Fantastic:) Thanks for letting me know your location. I'll admit Texas may as well be like gardening in Mars for me. I also totally understand your work load! There are a few Texas gardeners on this forum. Maybe they'll speak up. Please keep me posted on how everything works out for you. I'm very interested:D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Fantastic:) Thanks for letting me know your location. I'll admit Texas may as well be like gardening in Mars for me. I also totally understand your work load! There are a few Texas gardeners on this forum. Maybe they'll speak up. Please keep me posted on how everything works out for you. I'm very interested:D
I just noticed that you are in climate zone 4! Wow! I grew up in weather like that. I miss some trees and plants that I can never grow here in Texas. I've been gardening in subtropic ling enough to be fairly confident with my plants outside. It's the indoor enclosure that presents a challenge. I have not been able to keep any indoor plants due to very inquisitive cats who always want to chew on the greens and topple the pots over, making huge mess. I tried many different plants in many different locations of the house and always had to end up removing the broken, beat up plants:( My cats enjoy the free reign of the house. They are sweet and wonderful pets, so with much sadness I gave up on indoor gardening. The tortoise indoor enclosure gives me opportunity to create a little garden there, but I have much to learn about the plants that will do well in high temps/humidity, having moist roots all the time, and being trampled over by baby torts. I'm going to get the creeping jenny today and see how that goes and have few others waiting for me and my daughter (the torts' "mom") to clean the enclosure and put some improvements in the set up. Thanks for chiming in

Prairie Mom

My cats enjoy the free reign of the house. They are sweet and wonderful pets, so with much sadness I gave up on indoor gardening. The tortoise indoor enclosure gives me opportunity to create a little garden there, but I have much to learn about the plants that will do well in high temps/humidity, having moist roots all the time, and being trampled over by baby torts.
I totally hear you about the cats! I have SIX and they eat anything green as well. The only way I've grown indoors is to close off a room in the house and even then, I still block the plants just in case cats sneak in and out while I'm watering etc. Here's a picture of last year's awkward, but workable setup...
grow light setup smaller.jpg If you ever decide to give it a "go" again, please get in touch. I'm learning something new every year and love to see and learn through other people too!:) I often post about it in the "garden chat" thread in the "off-topic chit chat" section. Please feel free to post there too. Everyone and everything is welcome.

When I was using a closed chamber for my young sulcata regularly, I had the best success digging pots of plants into the substrate and even hanging pots along the enclosure walls. I also made interchangeable trays of grass and would place them at level with the substrate from time to time. These methods worked great for me. I can post a couple photos of my pots if you're curious....
mavis chamber w plants smaller.jpg
Ignore the slippery pie dish. It was only there while I cleaned the planter bottom I typically use. Also, I included a grow light bulb in my enclosure as a source of daytime heat and to provide the best lighting for the plants.
chamber bed smaller.jpg
You can't really see it, but I even had some hosta and African violets on top of one of her hides. I would rotate these to lower places when others needed a break to grow back what had been nibbled on. I learned a few tips and tricks to having pots inside (like putting rocks at the bottoms of pots so they're not easily knocked over, and sinking plants lower into the pots, so the tortoise can't eat the entire plant -only the edges, and a few others).

chamber pot2 smaller.jpg
I also placed pots lower that were there as intended tort food. -They were typically plants that I had a mass supply of under my grow-light setup in the closed off room. And as I mentioned I would also rotate in trays of grass fairly often.

I've heard that sulcata are harder on their plants, so you may be able to get away with some pretty direct planting in your enclosure.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I totally hear you about the cats! I have SIX and they eat anything green as well. The only way I've grown indoors is to close off a room in the house and even then, I still block the plants just in case cats sneak in and out while I'm watering etc. Here's a picture of last year's awkward, but workable setup...
View attachment 152533 If you ever decide to give it a "go" again, please get in touch. I'm learning something new every year and love to see and learn through other people too!:) I often post about it in the "garden chat" thread in the "off-topic chit chat" section. Please feel free to post there too. Everyone and everything is welcome.

When I was using a closed chamber for my young sulcata regularly, I had the best success digging pots of plants into the substrate and even hanging pots along the enclosure walls. I also made interchangeable trays of grass and would place them at level with the substrate from time to time. These methods worked great for me. I can post a couple photos of my pots if you're curious....
View attachment 152535
Ignore the slippery pie dish. It was only there while I cleaned the planter bottom I typically use. Also, I included a grow light bulb in my enclosure as a source of daytime heat and to provide the best lighting for the plants.
View attachment 152537
You can't really see it, but I even had some hosta and African violets on top of one of her hides. I would rotate these to lower places when others needed a break to grow back what had been nibbled on. I learned a few tips and tricks to having pots inside (like putting rocks at the bottoms of pots so they're not easily knocked over, and sinking plants lower into the pots, so the tortoise can't eat the entire plant -only the edges, and a few others).

View attachment 152538
I also placed pots lower that were there as intended tort food. -They were typically plants that I had a mass supply of under my grow-light setup in the closed off room. And as I mentioned I would also rotate in trays of grass fairly often.

I've heard that sulcata are harder on their plants, so you may be able to get away with some pretty direct planting in your enclosure.
Thanks for the info and awesome pics! Wow! Now I feel really inspired to go with the mini garden. My plan/hope is to create a mini Eco system in there for the babies, little sustainable "mini tortie universe" with live plants, and bio substrate with little clean up crew in there (earthworms, pillbugs and maybe hermit crabs at some point as well). I got couple of posts with creeping Jenny, have some Pothos and few others (will have to look up names) that are native to forests of South America. I'll post pics when done with this project. Thanks again. Love your pics!

Prairie Mom

Thanks for the info and awesome pics! Wow! Now I feel really inspired to go with the mini garden. My plan/hope is to create a mini Eco system in there for the babies, little sustainable "mini tortie universe" with live plants, and bio substrate with little clean up crew in there (earthworms, pillbugs and maybe hermit crabs at some point as well). I got couple of posts with creeping Jenny, have some Pothos and few others (will have to look up names) that are native to forests of South America. I'll post pics when done with this project. Thanks again. Love your pics!
Awesome! Please share it when you're done. This project sounds really interesting:)