Crooked Jaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MovieActor

5 Year Member
I have a 6-year-old leopard tortoise that I've raised since the day she was born on a balanced diet of greens and veggies with proper supplementation and adequate water. She has sufficient space, heat and lightning as well. Despite all this, since her third year, her lower jaw has been askew. Anyone have any ideas?

image-874878661.png

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Likely an injury that just did not heal correctly. Does your tort eat easily? Have you ever had her beaked trimmed on the top to see if that will help? (not a big trim, but just a bit off the tip of her beak)...does she use her jaw normally when she eats or does it appear that it is strictly the muscle that is pulling it up and to...vs a strong bite backed up by form and function?

You have a beautiful tort by the way :)

MovieActor

5 Year Member
Thank you!
I can't remember her ever sustaining an injury of any kind. Funny thing is she eats like a champ and has never seemed hindered in the slightest. Is it possible it could simply be a genetic defect?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Absolutely that is possible....However, you mentioned that it has been apparent since about 3 years old....is that maybe just when you noticed it or can you recall if she had always had that set?

Most important is that she eats like a champ and that is the most important thing.....if it does not hender food consumption and if it were me, I would just consider it part of her character :D

Most important is that she eats like a champ and that is the most important thing

So embarrassed, I can't believe I used the same word twice in one sentence...ewwwww, apologies :rolleyes:

MovieActor

5 Year Member
I think perhaps her head was so small I never looked close enough until she was about 3. So maybe it was there all along!
I guess I'll just leave well enough alone and keep an eye on it. Thanks again!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah, I have done the same thing....something may have been right in front of my face all along but then I suddenly notice it....lol...

I would really suspect she will be just fine if she has arrived at this age and is still a healthy eater....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.