Crushed walnut shells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travlnwood

5 Year Member
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about crushed walnut shell substrate for Sulcatas?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Good, but not preferred especially if you want to breed.. Just my experience

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depending on the age of your sully, it needs 80% humidity, I don't think walnut shells will hold humidity well. Also, if they were to eat them, I would guess, but don't know, that they would cause impaction. Have you read Toms threads on raising sulcatas? His thread is below in my post. They all are good reads and the leopard thread applies to Sullies also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes the walnut shell substrate is made from black walnut shells, which is toxic. Also if ingested, even accidentally, they might cause impaction. Plus they don't hold moisture for a humid environment.

All in all, not a good substrate for a tortoise at all.

Urtle

5 Year Member
No good. Coco coir is what I prefer. You have more options tho. Check out Toms threads!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Walnut shell will mold with moisture and is a serious impaction risk if they accidentally or intentionally eat it. I would not use it.

I was not aware of the toxicity issue Yvonne mentioned, but that's just one more reason I wouldn't risk it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
And it has very shape edges. Look at some with a magnifier. Nasty stuff it is. And when ingested, when, not if, it's a great intestinal irritant often causing intestinal bleeding. Rub some on the soft skin on the inside of your elbow or the soft parts of your neck and you'll see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.