crying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
The new red foot I adopted yesterday looks to be "crying". What causes this and how do I make him better?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Thats usally a sign of of " dry eyes" ... try boosting the humidity up and spray your lil guy couple of times daily! ....

JD~:)

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
N2TORTS said:
Thats usally a sign of of " dry eyes" ... try boosting the humidity up and spray your lil guy couple of times daily! ....

Ok thanks. I was wondering if it was a humidity because when I got him yesterday he was in a 5 gal with nothing for humidity. He is now in a 40 with a humidity hide and the overall humidity up to 72%. So will this correct the problem.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RF's Have a tendency to promote " crying eyes" when they themselfs have dry eyes.... the tear'n is a natural lubricant but can lead to a stressed tort.....
Seems your on your way .....to correcting the issue. Remember to keep him misted ....couple times a day ( even better than soaking)
Do not keep substrate soaking wet ......
HAPPY TORT~N

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
N2TORTS said:
RF's Have a tendency to promote " crying eyes" when they themselfs have dry eyes.... the tear'n is a natural lubricant but can lead to a stressed tort.....
Seems your on your way .....to correcting the issue. Remember to keep him misted ....couple times a day ( even better than soaking)
Do not keep substrate soaking wet ......
HAPPY TORT~N

Ok his substrate is not soaking wet it's just wet where the plants are when I water them. Then he has the moss that is in his hide and that is "wrung out" wet. And he has a water bowl he can climb in to soak. I spray him every time I walk by and spray my baby greek tortoise because I have their cages right by each other so they share the MVB and then they have separate heat lamps.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If it's eyes are wet all the time,how about the nostrils? Weepy eyes can go hand in hand with a respiratory infection. I am not diagnosing that, but if I were you, I would be on the watch for any symptoms.It may be nothing, BUT, it may be something.

eudora09

5 Year Member
Tucson, Arizona
yagyujubei said:
If it's eyes are wet all the time,how about the nostrils? Weepy eyes can go hand in hand with a respiratory infection. I am not diagnosing that, but if I were you, I would be on the watch for any symptoms.It may be nothing, BUT, it may be something.

It's just his eyes watering, his nose is dry and he isn't making any sounds like he's having trouble breathing. I know when my 1 snake I adopted had RI she made popping and wheezing sounds... is it the same for tortoises?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is a new section for articles with one on RI. Eye discharge MAY be a sign of Upper Respiratory Tract Disease, but without the signs of nasal discharge and puffy eyes, I would go with dehydration.

There are some articles in the Tortoise Library in my sig that may be of interest to you.

mywildlove

5 Year Member
New York
I have a similar worry with my new RF and she seemed to be in the same situation at the pet store. It was a few days before we got the humidity correct in her tank here too. She has one eye that looks puffy and seems to bother her, but the other eye is clear, and there is no nasal discharge, and after she's up and soaked and misted it seems to go away. She was no doubt dehydrated, so I am hoping it goes away, but it helps to read everyone's opinions and similar concerns!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My Wild- let us know if it does not clear up quickly.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Madkins007 said:
There is a new section for articles with one on RI. Eye discharge MAY be a sign of Upper Respiratory Tract Disease, but without the signs of nasal discharge and puffy eyes, I would go with dehydration.

There are some articles in the Tortoise Library in my sig that may be of interest to you.

What section are you talking about what is it under?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Kerrys RF Speckles as had watering eyes too she rescued her Saturday as she was kept dry and had no water too we noticed this water eyes after we got her it goes away after she is soaked so we guessed it was because she was Dehydrated poor thing she is drinking alot and spends alot of time in her water I am just glad we spotted her before it made her ill

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
coreyc said:
Madkins007 said:

What section are you talking about what is it under?

There is a new Articles section in the Forum, but the article is also in the Library at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/ri.html

Status
Not open for further replies.