Crystal-looking urates

kellygirl64

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY @ 90 miles left of NYC
I see you had said the white 'poop' should be creamy looking, my sulcatta had crystal looking white poops the other day and I was concerned because prior he had sandy looking (just the white) poop. He was kept solely in sand his whole life, prior to my getting him. His other poop is perfect. I was concerned that these 'crystals' are painful? How can I correct this? He is still eating organic spring mix with calcium spritz 3x a week, he's two in June and a recent rescue. The only changes since I've got him have all been made on advice in this forum. I have increased humidity, removed his red lamp, covered his enclosure, bathe him daily and feed him a lot more per feeding than initially, which was about a small handful of loose greens. Now he gets at least a cup and a half, and is always provided water, which he had never had prior to coming into my home. I also recently put a cuttlebone in his home and he eats it often. Perhaps I am now over calcium giving ? I am learning still and I do know his dietary needs have to be adjusted still and I'm working with what I can at this point. He was only fed every few days prior to me, I feel like everything else you had said - except his body mass doesn't seem to feel as heavy as it should(?) - that everything else is good. Can you advise on getting his crystals to go creamy ? Thanks so much !!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I see you had said the white 'poop' should be creamy looking, my sulcatta had crystal looking white poops the other day and I was concerned because prior he had sandy looking (just the white) poop. He was kept solely in sand his whole life, prior to my getting him. His other poop is perfect. I was concerned that these 'crystals' are painful? How can I correct this? He is still eating organic spring mix with calcium spritz 3x a week, he's two in June and a recent rescue. The only changes since I've got him have all been made on advice in this forum. I have increased humidity, removed his red lamp, covered his enclosure, bathe him daily and feed him a lot more per feeding than initially, which was about a small handful of loose greens. Now he gets at least a cup and a half, and is always provided water, which he had never had prior to coming into my home. I also recently put a cuttlebone in his home and he eats it often. Perhaps I am now over calcium giving ? I am learning still and I do know his dietary needs have to be adjusted still and I'm working with what I can at this point. He was only fed every few days prior to me, I feel like everything else you had said - except his body mass doesn't seem to feel as heavy as it should(?) - that everything else is good. Can you advise on getting his crystals to go creamy ? Thanks so much !!
Usually if urates are gritty rather than creamy, it means he is dehydrated. With the daily soaks, water in his enclosure, and high humidity, it should get better.