Curtis's latest escapade

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I’m really thinking someone might’ve picked up Curtis and taken him with them or something. I’ve been searching all day to no avail, and my family has been looking every day after they get home. There’s been no info since the person who saw him on Monday, and they didn’t report seeing him until 2 days after. We also live next to a pretty rough neighborhood and a middle school is about a mile away. I’ve heard a lot from my sister who goes there, and a lot of the kids there are quite… something.

This morning some middle schooler called me to tell me they found my tortoise, he had a cracked shell, and they threw him into the lake. It sounded like an obvious prank call, so I hung up. After 4 hours of searching, I decided to text them and get more information just in case, and they described his color and size accurately, and said the crack was “a small crack on his ‘shell thing’”, which could describe one of his irregular scutes on the back of his shell. They said they put him in the pond at the apartment complex across the street from the middle school. They blocked me before I could get more information. I think they were lying and I’m pretty sure it would be really difficult for a middle schooler to carry a tortoise as large as Curtis all the way to that pond through a few gates, but it’s really worrying how accurately they described him. I went to the pond and it’s really dirty so I couldn’t see the bottom, and the sides are steep enough that if he wasn’t put in at a shallow spot, he might not have been able to get out. The school is a mile away, but it’s been 5 days since he was seen and it’s possible that he made it there.

I really don’t know where to go from here, besides putting more fliers out. I don’t know how so many people passed a tortoise walking along the sidewalk without reporting anything at all. It’s getting into the low 50s every night.
Oh yea since Curtis got away from your family so easily... the "little" darling can outschmart dumb thieves easily. I really think keeping the word out is your best bet. Also sidewalks are being used by people at certain times of the day and then they're pretty quiet. Around nineish tenish the sidewalks are pretty quiet and about the time a tortoise would be out and about. By then people are at their daily activities in school and working and wouldn't notice.😊

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Someone might have found Curtis! Just waiting for them to call me back. The suspense is killing me and I have a 2 hour long statistics exam in an hour and 30 minutes, and they said they’ll call me back in an hour

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Someone might have found Curtis! Just waiting for them to call me back. The suspense is killing me and I have a 2 hour long statistics exam in an hour and 30 minutes, and they said they’ll call me back in an hour
🙏🤗🙏🤗🤞🍀😘🙏🤗

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
IT WAS CURTIS! HE IS SAFE AND SOUND!
I very happy that Curtis was found safe, If you need me to send my donation just let me know. That just put me in a very good mood, Thank God there are some good people that will do the right thing.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Curtis made it to a lake 14.5 MILES away from home in the week since his last sighting! Either someone picked him up and drove him all the way down there, or he walked around 2 miles a day in one direction. Crazy! The guy who found him is a plumber and has had 18 tortoises in the past. I haven’t seen pictures yet, but the tortoise matches his description down to the irregular scutes, so it’s pretty much impossible that it’s not him. So excited to have him back, and my parents have definitely realized their mistake and won’t make the same one again. So happy this had a happy ending!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Curtis made it to a lake 14.5 MILES away from home in the week since his last sighting! Either someone picked him up and drove him all the way down there, or he walked around 2 miles a day in one direction. Crazy! The guy who found him is a plumber and has had 18 tortoises in the past. I haven’t seen pictures yet, but the tortoise matches his description down to the irregular scutes, so it’s pretty much impossible that it’s not him. So excited to have him back, and my parents have definitely realized their mistake and won’t make the same one again. So happy this had a happy ending!
That nice of that gentleman to take the time to recue Curtis, you know he had to be an animal lover. Everywhere I drive, I'm always looking out for turtles on the road. I will not hasatate to turn around to save one from getting run over. Sent us some pictures when you and Curtis are back together, Now you can concentrate on getting back too your studies.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
YAY, I am so very happy for you. Now be diligent on securing his area. Once they get out, they seem to continue to look for a weak spot.
Yep. Once an animal does something, they don't forget. You gotta TRY to outsmart them all over again. Well...They do make you think 🤔 and keep you active and stuff 😜 so I guess it's worth it ☺️😉

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I am so happy you have Curtis back. I started reading this thread and got very depressed and then it came out to be such a joyful ending! I hope your studies didn’t suffer and I’m thrilled to hear you’re a zoology major.