The Tortoise and the Hare

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
It seems that a rabbit and her babies have once again made a home in Button’s pen. One corner of the enclosure is particularly overgrown, and I was going to take a weed wacker to it, but it looks like they’re all hiding in it. Guess I’ll leave it :)

This seems to happen every spring, or at least every other. It’s happened at least one other time. With Button guarding the inside and Curtis guarding the outside, I can’t really blame them for nesting there :p
IMG_9133.jpeg
I also occasionally see Curtis grazing along with adults. They don’t seem to mind each other, which I find surprising given Curtis is 5x their size. Need to get a picture some time.

Does anyone think I should move the babies out at some point? I think the last ones that nested there managed to get out once they were big enough to jump over, but for now, they’re stuck. I doubt they pose any risk to Button, and he doesn’t seem to be aware of their existence.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep, every spring and summer, we are looking out for rabbit babies before we can weed whack too. Probably April will be our first batches of the wild little cuties.

BB123

England
Hi TechnoCheese,

If you and your torts don't mind them I personally wouldn't move them. There can be a risk that the mother will reject and abandon them all together if moved and the possibility of any male rabbits finding them as they do genuinely kill all the offspring (even if it's their own babies) so that they can re-breed with the females, also the other possible predator risks that you might have in your area it's not really worth risking in my opinion but up to you. They should be able to get out on their own just fine once they don't need the mum as much.

Hopefully this helps.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi TechnoCheese,

If you and your torts don't mind them I personally wouldn't move them. There can be a risk that the mother will reject and abandon them all together if moved and the possibility of any male rabbits finding them as they do genuinely kill all the offspring (even if it's their own babies) so that they can re-breed with the females, also the other possible predator risks that you might have in your area it's not really worth risking in my opinion but up to you. They should be able to get out on their own just fine once they don't need the mum as much.

Hopefully this helps.
Thanks! I definitely will just leave them then.