Cyclone’s growth

Djkitten76

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
If he passes away, :( once i order a new one should i pick it up, that is an option and im only 20 mins away from azsulcata, should i take the hatchling to a vet such as Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital?

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Personally, and some may disagree. But if the tortoise is sick with no chance of recovering then I would have it humanely euthanised. I think it’s so sad to see them just suffering day after day.

I’m so sorry that your baby is sick.

Djkitten76

Arizona
Personally, and some may disagree. But if the tortoise is sick with no chance of recovering then I would have it humanely euthanised. I think it’s so sad to see them just suffering day after day.

I agree :( I don’t think he will have a comeback because he seems to fall asleep halfway to food and not eat anything
Do you know anywhere they could be euthanized? :(

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree :( I don’t think he will have a comeback because he seems to fall asleep halfway to food and not eat anything
I am so sorry about Cyclone. My thoughts are with you.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

Has anyone suggested soaking in baby food and water or pediatric hydration water yet? Would you kill your child if you thought they were "suffering"? I would do all possible to keep from doing this.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

Barbarian!

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Barbarian!

The difference is, your child would be given medication to help with pain, it would be fed through a tube and given fluids through an IV. Unless the OP is willing to take this tortoise to a vet and pay for all of that, it is simply cruel to let it die over a period of weeks.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Has anyone suggested soaking in baby food and water or pediatric hydration water yet? Would you kill your child if you thought they were "suffering"? I would do all possible to keep from doing this.

Yes, if my child was suffering with no quality of life, and there was nothing that could make them better and no medicine to make it easier, then I would euthanize. It is cruel to have it suffering with no point of trying to save it, no way to ease the pain. I’m not sure why you would even suggest that a humane euthanasia is worse than slowly wasting away, with no quality of life. What would it gain from not being euthanized?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let's don't go there guys. No sense in arguing the euthanasia thing here. You won't change anyone's way of thinking on the subject and I foresee a very heated argument.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's my opinion on the subject of djkitten's baby:

Re-read the care sheet "How to raise a healthy sulcata or leopard." I mean, REALLY READ it, and apply it to your husbandry. Most "failure to thrive" babies do so because of the way they are being cared for.

Husbandry plays a very important part in getting a hatchling to live. Correct and change anything you're doing differently from the care sheet. While you're doing that, soak the baby daily for about 30-45 minutes in a 50/50 mixture of warm water/Gerber strained carrot baby food. Use a small bowl he can't climb out of, and set the bowl at the edge of where the light shines down on the substrate in the enclosure. This will keep it warm.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If he passes away, :( once i order a new one should i pick it up, that is an option and im only 20 mins away from azsulcata, should i take the hatchling to a vet such as Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital?
I don't think a vet visit would help, and would be stressful for your baby.

Djkitten76

Arizona
I’ll try all that, here is a picture of Cyclone in the yard. He isn’t very active lately and doesn’t eat anything I give him.image.jpg

Antoni

Me too.
Here is him this morningView attachment 238594
Dont give up! I had a sully 2 years ago and he was very active when i got Him. At the moment i lives with my parents and my mom didnt really approve of me having a big tortoise box in my room so i ended up having to move him outdoor at a very young age. A few months later, he didnt eat much, move as much, and his eyes started looking puffy.Anyway i kept reading on this forum and tried everything.. warm carrot babyfood soak, begged my mom to keep him inside and tried and many other things. He later on started showing a lil life eating his mazuri grass and weed mix. I had him until 7 months ago, i had a new born baby and moved into apartment where i cant provide space for a 2 yr old sulcata. I traded with a friend who recently bought leos. Long story short, he made it! It’s alot of work and heavy on the heart seeing them like that but keep trying to do what’s best for them. And whether cyclone makes it or not, wouldnt it feel much better knowing u did everything you can? Im rooting for you. Ur doing great.

Salspi

Chicago
So sorry- I don’t know what to say. But, did Arizona Tortoise compound contact you to help? Did you call them and explain what’s happening?

After Tom tagged them, there was no response here. Did they at least send you a private message? I would definitely call them if you haven’t done so already.

Djkitten76

Arizona
I’ve gone to a vet that knows about sulcatas and has a few of their own, she said he has or could have an infection. She perscribed an injection called enroflaxin and we have been following the directions for it we’re only 3 injections in (4 to go) and I’m already noticing better activity. She also said having the fogger on is too humid and said only to make the hide humid, I’ve turned off the fogger and sprayed the hide to make it humid, should I follow those directions? Here is a pic of him outside today being very active.image.jpg