Cypress Mulch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I just bought a bag of cypress mulch from Home Depot and when I got home I noticed that it said on the bag "Cypress mixture with pine". I have read on several sites that pine is toxic and I wanted to know if anyone else has used this mulch before and is it safe? I even smelled the stuff and it smelled the same as other cypress mulch that I have used and i couldnt smell any pine. Please give me some suggestions!!

Thanks
John

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We all say pine is a no-no and I agree. BUT, I used to use it in the past for all sorts of animals, including tortoises and other reptiles. I still raise and keep my rat colony in pine shavings. I don't think an imperceptible amount mixed in with a whole bunch of cypress mulch will hurt anything. Are you using it indoors or out? If its outside I can just about guarantee you'll be fine. Indoors, I wouldn't hesitate to still use it.

Now cedar is a different story...

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Not a big deal, this is just like the food labeling that says that the machinery involved touched a peanut at some point in its life. LOL Douglas

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I know we have a member who had a bad experience she strongly feels was due to pine, but there is not much in the literature suggesting that pine is a big concern for reptiles.

For that matter, most of the issues with pine and small mammals seems to be greatly overblown and based on a few scattered issues. I also kept rats on pine for generations to no known ill effect, has have countless others around the world.

I would not recommend pine shavings as a tortoise substrate, but that is because of other issues with it, such as dehydration, not the oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.