Cypress mulch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I wasn't sure the proper place to post this. Sorry if it's not the right place. Has anyone ever used this stuff? It is cypress blend. There is a phone # on the bag and I called and the woman couldn't tell me exactly what the blend was, but said it was possible that it could contain pine. I think it just depends on what they have available. I smelled it and couldn't smell pine, but I'm not sure about that. It's the only thing I could find right now, but maybe come spring they might have better variety. Should I give it a try or just let my husband use it in the yard?

015.jpg

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Home depot carries the stuff as well. It has Cypress and It has some wood in it other than cypress. But it doesnt contain cedar. Im not sure about pine though.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hey thanks for the quick responses! Is it the cedar that should be avoided or the pine or both? That's great that I can use this then. I only paid 3.33 for this gigantic bag.

pongpagong

5 Year Member
that is good deal..and it says "first class".I hope we have that stuff here in canada..

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Cedar is pretty well known to be an irritant. Pine is more debatable. There is a lot of discussion back and forth on it. As far as reptiles go, avoiding pine shavings for animals that live in or on the bedding is probably a good idea.

Pine bark and chunks in a wood mix are probably safer. If you cannot smell the pine, it is probably not a concern.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Looks like that cypress mulch (same brand I use, from Home Depot) is 100% cypress...I've looked closely through it and cypress shreds/chunks is all I see.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Just be careful about it. The Home Depots around here (SE Michigan) also have the cypress mulch that says "Cypress Mulch Blend" and in fact does have woods other than just cypress in it.

I called the number on the bag to make sure, and ended up being worth the time to call since it wasn't pure cypress.

So I finally found an English Gardens with pure cypress mulch.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I've looked through it better and it seems to be pretty uniform in the type of wood that it is and again I'm not smelling cedar or pine. Come spring time there will be mulch for sale everywhere. When I find 100% cypress, I'll be stocking up!

Status
Not open for further replies.