Daisy Lou and her puffy eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Looking for some thoughts on the little woman's puffy eyes, if you all don't mind, I would love to hear your thoughts. Lisa and I took these pictures this afternoon. I told Maggie I would post some current pictures. So, anyone any thoughts or suggestions?

I have only had her for 10 days, she has had terramycin eye ointment for 6 days, and is fed a very healty diet. She is an excellent eater and has not turned anything down! May have to rename her Miss Piggy!! :D

Daily soaks, and 2 x's with carrots and vitasol, natural sunshine everyday, except yesterday and today, MVB when the babies are sleeping. Mazuri meatballs a few times and pumpkin 2 x's.

Maggie suggested powdered terramycin for some soaks, will get that today.

So, as I am typing this I heard a rather loud squeek, turned around and Daisy is sticking her bottom up like a stink bug, so I looked, and she was passing a HUGE white stone. It is 1" and is hard as a rock, Lisa tried to smash it and it wouldn't even smash. Holy COW!!! I soaked her earlier today, but I am going to soak her again right now.

How long does it take for something like that to happen? I really don't want to take a picture of it, but if someone wants to see it I will.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!
DaisyLounapping.jpg

DaisyLoupuffyeyes.jpg

daisyLoupuffyeyes2.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, I think she is beautiful, but I need to know whats wrong with her eyes. It certainly has nothing to do with husbandry. I think that stone is from her last keeper not soaking her. I'd say she was extremely dehydrated...

Now that we're on the subject, I have been told about a Sulcata in SoCal who is getting such bad care she's gonna die without help. I am trying to find out what city she is in and then I will make a thread and try to get her rescued...

Where's the pix of that rock???

kimmer

5 Year Member
Torty Mom said:
Here it is is it 1" x 1". Her vent looks a little swollen, she is soaking now, I think there is another one :(

S7305193.jpg
Oh my goodness! Daisy Lou must have been waiting for your care to pass this out.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
For some reason I just love this girl! Is there a remedy that will help stones pass?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Keep her warm and keep soaking her, very warm and hydrated.

You can feed her softer foods for a few days, until her vent starts to feel better. Cooked squash and cooked pumpkin (canned as fine, but you want pure pumpkin, NOT pie filling) would be great for her. It won't help with the other stone (the warm soaks will) but it will be easier for her to pass without straining. She might experience a little internal tearing around the vent, and the pumpkin and squash will pass easily and give her time to heal. If she was squealing, she was in a LOT of pain, poor baby!

I would be soaking as much as humanly possible, no less than twice a day and as many warm soaks as you can muster. You can set the soaking tub on a heating pad or put a heat lamp over her to keep it warm. The warm water will relax her muscles and tissues and make it easier for her to get any more stones out.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
If there is one, I need it, well Daisy needs it!! Momma mia, is all I can say. She is soaking, right now and is relaxed, eyes closed, I'm spooning warm water over her.

Maggie can you see the picture, it's up a few posts...

Becki, she is the sweetest thing ever!

So any thoughts on stone or eyes?

Thanks Kristina! I have been giving her mazuri and greens mixed in every 2 or 3 days. I will thaw the extra pumpkin I have for her. She is soaked twice a day, I will add more soaks.

I knew she was not taken care of, so Lisa and I have each been soaking her once. Once in the am and then again in the pm. I have yet to see her drink, when I give her greens I leave them wet.

I am so trying not to panic!!

M

Maggie Cummings

Holy cow that must have hurt. Kristina has given the best advice, there's nothing I can add to it, but I'm thinkin that there's something between the stone and the swollen eyes. The two are tied together and when the stones are gone the swollen eyes will be also. I don't exactly know how they are tied together but I think they are. Is there another stone coming?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I just got her out of a soak, I'll check.

I don't see anything yet, but shortly after she passed the last one, when she peed only a drop came out, so I am thinking maybe there is another one, blocking the flow? When I touch around her vent, I do not feel anything.

Maggie, do you think it could be the pressure of the stone causing her eyes to bug out?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Torty Mom said:
I just got her out of a soak, I'll check.

I don't see anything yet, but shortly after she passed the last one, when she peed only a drop came out, so I am thinking maybe there is another one, blocking the flow? When I touch around her vent, I do not feel anything.

Maggie, do you think it could be the pressure of the stone causing her eyes to bug out?

If I was trying to pass something like that my eyes would bug out
hope she feels better

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Less likely the pressure and more likely some sort of toxicity from blockage...

Just keep soaking, it is the best you can do for her. Warm and hydrated. And keep her moving. Think of it like a person with a kidney stone.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Not necessarily. I have seen eyes swollen from some sort of infection or irritation, but I also have seen other parts of the body swollen and puffy due to renal issues. I have a sneaking suspicion that Maggie is right, there is some sort of correlation there. Not that I know *why,* it is just a gut feeling.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Aw! Poor baby! I hope she gets better!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mineral oil is non-absorbtive. If you put a few drops down her throat and up her cloaca, it will coat whatever's in the "pipes" and help it to come out (if there is anything), and it won't hurt her...it will just pass right on through.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am going with a toxicity issue. She's got some sort of a kidney/bladder problem and toxins are backed up. I'm just guessing, but that's my instinct...for whatever it's worth...and it's showing with those swollen eyes as the only symptom...

That's a good idea Yvonne and I should have thought of it myself, having done it with several animals. Only I used a syringe without the needle and squirted the oil up into the cloaca...

Status
Not open for further replies.