Daisy Lou + Vet = Pancur

Status
Not open for further replies.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I believe pinworms are species-specific and pose little threat, but as canine roundworms and hookworms can cause very serious disease, especially in children.... I would say Yes, if for no other reason than to err on the side of caution. Good hand washing should protect you, your family and the little urchins at school. You would have a hard time talking an angry parent out of blaming you if they found out your tortoise had pinworms and then their child came down with them, even if you could show them tons of proof as to the species specificity of the parasite.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks Todd, I must admit I am a bit freaked out about it. 14 five year olds with worms would be a nightmare for sure, UGH!!! I think I would be looking for a new job in another city! :p I will keep my son from handling her until we get a clean fecal.

Do you think those pinworms effect nutrition, like her vitamin A dif?

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
In large numbers, any parasite could become a problem....I never saw the fecal, so really can't comment on the severity of the infestation..the threat of inpaction or nutritional problem would have to be determined by the egg count etc....am I rambling? haha Guess I could be a politician.....wish I could say more on the subject.

As for pinworms as a kid.....oh the memories of my mother "digging" for pinworms....it was not fun! hahaha Too much info?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I think those stories are cute, as a Mom of 2 boys, we have had some interesting situations!!

Thanks Todd for all your advice! I appreciate it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.