Another Urate Stone ~ UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
UPDATE: Daisy Lou passed another GIANT stone tonight and a bunch of smaller stones and sludge! This one was bigger than the last one! Poor Girl. I have been sneaking mineral oil into her food. You can see the mineral oil on the stone, so I am hoping that helped my poor baby pass that crap!

What is odd is when we were outside today, she stopped walking and did this weird leg thing, almost like when you have an itch, but she wasn't scratching, and her tail moved in unison with her leg. She did it with both legs.

Her follow up and fecal isn't until next week! I can hardly wait to see the new xray when she has it, I hope there is nothing left!

:( Mary Anne

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yep, Laura she is doing great otherwise! Thanks! :D My hubby and Lisa both have mentioned that her eyes look less puffy. I have been soaking the daylights out of her and sneaking the mineral oil into her food. She is NOT a picky eater at all. Which is great! I'll have another update after the vet visit, unless something else pops out.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, that's great news. Nice job! Seriously, you're efforts may have avoided a really tough surgery.

kimmer

5 Year Member
I am so happy to hear this. She got to you just in time!

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Poor Daisy Lou! You're giving her such good care. Hopefully the worst is behind her now.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
That's great I hope by the next vet visit they will be all gone :)shes in good hand's now :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks everyone! You guys are so sweet! She has passed a ton more of urates today at Lisa's house. I can hardly wait to see the next xray! I think she was well lubed so I think it pushed right on out, she didn't make any sounds or anything. I will keep putting the mineral oil in her food until the xray. I'll take a picture, so we can have a before and after!

She and the babies are all outside sun tanning!!

Thanks for all the well wishes for Daisy Lou, it means alot!! You guys are the bestest!! :D Mary Anne

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I really feel bad for this tortoise. Lets hope all the stones are behind her now.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thank goodness she landed in your hands!! You are a great person for giving such care for an animal. Hope she continues on her road to recovery, keep up the good work!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks dmmj & Tico! I was smitten with her from the moment I laid hands on her, and when I learned how awefully she was raised it made me love her even more!! I just hope she is happy! I wish I knew!

It's with the wonderful advice and that I have gotten from everyone here that is responsible for her well being! Thank you all!!!

Now, NO MORE STONES, is my wish!! :D Mary Anne

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
She passed a bunch more urates this afternoon at Lisa's house. Lisa is just awesome and loves Daisy Lou as much as I do. I am very lucky to have such a great friend and tortie sitter!!

Does anyone think the mineral oil is helping that crud come out since she is ingesting it now?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I can't see that it would hurt, and very possibly it is helping. I would keep doing it until at least her next Xray.

I am glad she is doing better! Keep up the good work. I would love to see updated pics of her eyes.

Hix2008

5 Year Member
I'm glad that you such a good tort mom! How are the three babies doing?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Passing urates is normal and good, its urine..
If the stones are in her Bladder..the mineral oil probably isnt doing anything.. but I dont know..
Anyone know if VitC or Cranberries would be good for stones? prevent Bacteria in the Urine? would that prevent sludge? or just good diet and hydration?
Can the vet do a bladder flush? Infuse the bladder and maybe use a lubricant mixed with saline?

Madortoise

5 Year Member
hmmm.... my doctor laughed at me when i had kidney infection and said cranberries (juice anyway) remedy was old wife's tale. whatever...but I tend to think it's best to let the natural course of event take place w/these reptiles than to do too much things.
She seems to be doing well already under the loving care of the new mom.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I really think the mineral oil is helping and all the extra soaks plus that girl can eat! I love it! No worries in that department. She truly is a trooper! I am making her next appt on Saturday the problem is getting a fresh fecal to the vet before the appt so they have time to analyze it. Kinda no fun to sit and wait and watch for fresh poo! My son and I holler back and forth "Do you see any poo yet?" LOL!!

The babies are doing great! Eating and pooping machines! Caught one of them the other day flinging dirt with her back legs, so cute! I just love little babies doing big tortie stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.