Damage to Hermann's shell - advice?

richardholme

Location (City and/or State)
Tayport
Hi there,

I have a juvenile Hermann's and it is active (loves to climb) eats well, and seems to be thriving, gaining weight. I've been inspecting the shell and noticed a few small areas of damage. I think some are historic, but there appears to be a small hole (1mm) between two of the vertebral scutes (3 & 4 from head). Which is visible as a yellow circle on the image below. I want to know if this is an example of 'wear and tear' so is normal, or if I should be worried (eg about infection).

Thanks in advance :)

IMG_20201227_154818681.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Something poked the new growth in that spot when it was still pliable and tender. Using a syringe with no needle, flush it out with sterile saline then pack it with Neosporin. It's minor and would probably be ok without intervention, but it will make you feel better to do what you can.

richardholme

Tayport
Thanks @Yvonne G I'll do that. Izzy loves to climb and although there are few hazards I wonder if falling on one of the rocks might have caused the damage?

Also is the brighter yellow shell new growth, there is more showing on other scutes, looks fine but I'm interested to learn. Thanks again :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No that's just where the keratin has separated from the live tissue underneath. The new growth is the thin line all around the edges of the scutes.

Connie

5 Year Member
Something poked the new growth in that spot when it was still pliable and tender. Using a syringe with no needle, flush it out with sterile saline then pack it with Neosporin. It's minor and would probably be ok without intervention, but it will make you feel better to do what you can.
Does a chip in the shell heal and go away like a cut on a human. I saw hermans tortoise has she has a chip indentation on her shell

richardholme

Tayport
Hi again,

Looking for more advice. When I got Izzy there was bit of a scrape on one side on a marginal scute, where the top of the scute was missing. It looked like historical damage that had healed. I've noticed there's minor hole to the side (see image attached) and think the colour around has changed. Also I've been bathing Izzy regularly, per advice, and there was a strange smell after they'd been to the toilet in the bath. So I'm worried it might be a sign of shell rot (new owner, so rather paranoid!). I've ordered hibiscrub (4% chlorhexidine) to treat in case it is an issue.

Questions to experienced/expert folk are: Does it look suspicious? And do I apply the chlorhexidine neat (as it comes 4%) or dilute? And any other advice?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

IMG_20210406_111815149.jpg