Damaged turtle

Macy Fidler

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430915110.308277.jpg
Hey guys, I got a call from a friend who asked me to come over and help her because her dog had gotten ahold of a turtle and tore him up. I went over to save the day and immediately when I got there I knew there was trouble. This poor baby is cut open on both sides of his shell. You can see his organs on one side. The cuts are very deep and long. We bandaged him. I want to help him but I don't want to put him in the water. What do I do??? Help

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Have a shallow wading pool next to him so he can hop in if he likes he loves pretty bad any more photos

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
thats pretty bad.... if you can get him start eating there might be hope. otherwise, let it go and let mother nature taken care of

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Looks like a melanistic Slider. I read this last night, but decided not to response. The obvious intervention would have been immediate vet attention, but this injury is already at least 10 days old. I don't know how much it would help now.

Think of this like a wound to us. It needed to be cleaned and assessed for any soft tissue damage inside the colic membrane.You would probably need to flush the area with a saline solution, at the very least, but any damage to organs would most-likely mean death without early vet intervention. Turtles can survive a lot, but not always. Could have gone either way.