What is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
Hello TFO I was called in to the local vet today because they thought they found bowser. I have had him back for 3 weeks now and I knew it wasn't him but the local vet in my small town had no idea what kind of turtle or tortoise they had and asked for my help. So I think it is a box turtle but I am not sure since I have never owned one. If you could please help identify him/her I would appreciate it so I can then post this to lost and found and have the current care provider take better care of it.
Thanks

Attachments

• image-3794593583.png
    image-3794593583.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • image-830713741.png
    image-830713741.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73
  • image-2342799896.png
    image-2342799896.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • image-531606525.png
    image-531606525.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • image-1994704111.png
    image-1994704111.png
    190 KB · Views: 43

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like some sort of water turtle to me. But not sure. Hopefully someone will know for sure. Good luck.

Look up desert box turtle on the Internet and see if that looks like what you have. It does to me, except the picture I looked at the shell was very dirty, but the markings under the dirt looked like it might be the same.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
A very obvious RES.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure this is an old Actinemys marmorata (Pacific pond turtle), the only indigenous water turtle in California. It is illegal to have it. If it was found near water, it must be returned to that spot.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
It was found in the persons driveway. It must have been domesticated due to its friendly nature thusly why I thought it was a pet. Also we have no bodies of water nearby. The river is 20 miles away and there is rice fields and a highway between us so I don't think it came from there

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
This is a stumper, though with the research I did, the only similar turtle I could come up with was the pacific pond turtle, which yvonne already mentioned.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This pond turtle is naturally tame, or un-afraid of humans, leading people to falsely believe it is an escaped pet. These are the sweetest, nicest, most gentle of water turtles.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
What percent do you believe for certain that it is a western pond turtle. If that is the case then I will have her release it in the canals at the rice fields where I have seen the other red ears and pond turtles.
I want to know for sure that's what it is before I release it so there is no chance it has domestic.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Department of Natural Resources. I think it'd be them. Maybe fish and game.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would use the website that Matt gave you and at the bottom of the page you'll find the Dept of fish and wildlife website. I would click it and send them the pics and have them confirm what it is. If they recommend that it go near to the nearest pond, then that's what you should do. They may ask you to send it to them or they may come and get it. If it is endangered, you just don't want to leave it somewhere where it can get hit by a car.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
sibi said:
I would use the website that Matt gave you and at the bottom of the page you'll find the Dept of fish and wildlife website. I would click it and send them the pics and have them confirm what it is. If they recommend that it go near to the nearest pond, then that's what you should do. They may ask you to send it to them or they may come and get it. If it is endangered, you just don't want to leave it somewhere where it can get hit by a car.

i second this

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Phantom9 said:
There was no red at all on its face or neck. That I could see at least.

So? Changes in melanism and other pigmentation aspects are typical in RES.

Anyhow, among other traits, the carapace scute striations, anal scutes, first vertebral scute, posterior marginals, and forelimb scalation are consistent with an old RES and inconsistent with marmorata.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
It is an old, melanistic RES.......

What is the purpose of trying to ID something if the majority of the posts are best guesses if that? I don't understand that at all........

Status
Not open for further replies.