White Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xastur

5 Year Member
Hey guys first time poster.. here is the deal. My girlfriends parents apparently found this red eared slider they "thought" was albino and took him in to their house. They had no clue as to what a turtle needs and apparently were keeping him indoors with no UVB or basking lights and only a small dish to wade around in. When i heard what was going on i decided to politely ask for the turtle as i knew he wasn't going to make it in in that environment.

We have an outdoor habitat setup and we have lucky (our rescue) set up in there but i cant figure out why his shell is white.. i looked up pictures of shell rot and it didnt seem like those pictures matched what was going on so my only guess is maybe someone painted his shell or bleached it white... Here are the pictures i took of him he has a great appetite and is either basking or swimming around in one of the ponds we have for him.. but if anyone could help me identify what happened to his shell it would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 3124
View attachment 3125

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Not sure if it was shellrot or what, but before you got him/her all the scutes came off the carapace exposing the bone (thats what your seeing now is the bones of his/her carapace). The bone is dead and the Red-eared slider is making new scute material and than new bone underneath the dead bone. Eventually the dead bone will come off and there will be new scutes underneath.
As long as he/she is eating, than there will be no problems with the healing process.

Danny

Xastur

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Not sure if it was shellrot or what, but before you got him/her all the scutes came off the carapace exposing the bone (thats what your seeing now is the bones of his/her carapace). The bone is dead and the Red-eared slider is making new scute material and than new bone underneath the dead bone. Eventually the dead bone will come off and there will be new scutes underneath.
As long as he/she is eating, than there will be no problems with the healing process.

Danny
Thank god.. i have noticed since hes been outside it looked like some of the outer egdes of his shell have been peeling.. is that part of the process?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes thats part of the process. :)

Danny

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings & Hooray for Lucky that you came along when you did!! I've never seen a tort with no scutes left, poor lil' tortie! One can only imagine the horrible conditions Lucky was subject to before you came to the rescue!

And thanx to Danny for letting you know what will happen and what to expect ~ Cheers to both of you!

Blessings,
Purpod

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Interesting, I have never seen a shell like that. Good to know he will recover with time though.

Xastur

5 Year Member
Ill be sure to post updated pics everytime i see some improvements.. ill keep you guys informed! =)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Xastur ~

Yes, please do: we surely love to see pics of your lil' tort as he progresses!

Bestest Wishes,
Purpod

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Oh poor little RES.....so glad to hear you got him and he is now recovering and healing nicely and safely with your proper care ! Kudos to you and good luck. I agree with my Purpod friend, keep us posted on the progress !

Xastur

5 Year Member
Well here are two updated pictures... the recovery time has been slow but he is making progress and hes loving his habitat!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for thinking about us. Its always good to hear the success stories.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Yes, I agree with Yvonne, it's always great to hear/see pics of recovery (altho this purpod peep must admit that they are painful to view... poor lil' Lucky!)

Keep up the xllnt work ;)
Blessings to you both!!
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.