Dang! Another Escapee!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I guess there wasn't enough bare ground inside the pond area for mama Florida softshell to nest so she had to test the fence and find the weakest link. Interesting to note that even the water turtles know how to go through the vinyl strip doors:

Escapee a.jpgEscapee b.jpgEscapee c.jpg

All my fences are about 25 years old now, and badly in need of replacing. My windfall from the road widening can't come soon enough to suit me!

Relic

Here
You need to hangout at juvenile court and find some youthful traffic offender that needs to do 40-50 hours of community service and take him or her to your place for some free labor...my daughter used to wash local fire engines and Battalion Chief cars to work off her hours. Never lightened her lead foot...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She just needed a little privacy.

Is the road widening all done now? Man that seems like years ago you first talked about it. Glad they are compensating for taking your property.
Construction is scheduled to start October, 2021. They're going to give me 30 days notice prior to construction in order to catch all the fish and turtles in the pond and allow it to drain, and to remove the fencing along the front of the property prior to start of construction. I have just signed the contract last week, but haven't yet received a copy of the ok'd contract (or the money). Because they're going to put up a retaining wall on the "cliff" in front of my house, they'll need an extra 10' of working space behind the new property line. That 10' will encroach into the pond area, so it needs to be empty. But on a good note, once they're finished, they're putting in a non-permeable liner in order to protect the new retaining wall from the water leaching out. That means instead of a big mud hole I'll be able to put in a filter and have clear water!! Yea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to hangout at juvenile court and find some youthful traffic offender that needs to do 40-50 hours of community service and take him or her to your place for some free labor...my daughter used to wash local fire engines and Battalion Chief cars to work off her hours. Never lightened her lead foot...
I'm still able to do a lot of the work myself, but it's the $$$ I have trouble with. But anyway, I've always been pretty protective of allowing strangers to know about the turtles and tortoises that live here. It would be too easy for someone to come in the middle of the night and help themselves.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Construction is scheduled to start October, 2021. They're going to give me 30 days notice prior to construction in order to catch all the fish and turtles in the pond and allow it to drain, and to remove the fencing along the front of the property prior to start of construction. I have just signed the contract last week, but haven't yet received a copy of the ok'd contract (or the money). Because they're going to put up a retaining wall on the "cliff" in front of my house, they'll need an extra 10' of working space behind the new property line. That 10' will encroach into the pond area, so it needs to be empty. But on a good note, once they're finished, they're putting in a non-permeable liner in order to protect the new retaining wall from the water leaching out. That means instead of a big mud hole I'll be able to put in a filter and have clear water!! Yea.
Wow, I can't believe it's not over and that they have to use yet more of your property. Glad there is some good coming out of it for you.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Omg.... i had a Florida soft shell and she was amazing!!! I miss her so much ?
My friend watched her for me while we moved and apparently forgot she existed ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do you have a male softshell or are they just unfertilized eggs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a male. I've seen the occasional baby, but they don't last long with the other turtles.