Deadliest River ….Why?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
The Kern River .... Why do so many have to die?
D4910871-FA71-49DF-8BB3-947EED50F910.jpeg
This picture was taken in December of last year ..... After this weekend it is at least 10 more people added to that number, it is currently 335. WHY?
It is a very sad thing to drive by the campgrounds full of people and children playing in the water and think ...Some of these people will never make it home .... Some of these people will Die today .... Some of these people .. will that child be next?
Highway 178 Which we live on goes through the Kern River Canyon and was just named 9th Deadliest highway in all of CA. The canyon regularly will be closed due to an accident (in the summer) or a rock slide (in the winter) or vice versa occasionally. It is not uncommon for a car to go off a cliff hundreds of feet down to the river. People passing on a blind corner, people driving way too fast for the conditions...there are lots of ways these deadly things happen - not accidents but instead someone not being a responsible driver. If this wasn't bad enough there is the river, part above Lake Isabella and another portion below. Every big weekend a couple people lose their lives in ways you think would never happen...Example: Family of 4 comes up from Southern CA for a camping trip on the river, going to be a great family weekend full of memories. When they get to the campsite and pull the car in the kids are ecstatic can't wait to get wet and have fun. The 12 yr. old daughter jumps out of the car as it comes to a stop and runs down to the edge of the river (so excited). Without any warning she slips on an uneven rock and falls into the river before her parents are even out of the car. She was never seen again. A mother of 4 goes down to the water to try and cool off, after all it is over 100 degrees. Without realizing it she steps to far out into the water and is swept away. Another camper a few sites down hears her screams for help and runs to help, he dives in with every intention of helping this woman. Neither are ever seen alive again, 1 will never be seen again. A man stays near the shore sensing the danger but still drowns since no one in his party can swim. Why? So senseless?
You have to go to Bakersfield for an appointment and have to drive through the canyon. On the way you start to see people in groups of 3 or 4 visibly crying, some with binoculars, looking for the body of their loved one floating in the river below for some type of closure.
These are all true stories of how deadly this place is but yet so peaceful they think. There are also stories of people "Tubing" in this river which has class 5 rapids, yes class 5. Just this weekend a mother with a baby in a tube flipped over and had to be rescued ...Luckily. Almost 100% of these deaths are NOT locals, we don't go in the river. And I'm sure you have already guessed NO LIFE JACKETS EVER.....Why? Whenever I drive by one of the popular sites and see children chest deep in water that clearly will kill them I yell as loud as I can "Yes that's the place everyone dies." I do this in the hopes it will scare a parent or two and change someone's life for the better, they don't drown. A local fisherman on Saturday morning witnessed 2 bodies float by him at 6 a.m. with no other soul around ...what do you do? Do you jump in and try to grab their dead body, for their family ....or do you climb up to the top and call authorities maybe never to see them again?
The beauty of this place is being replaced by sadness and horrible memories yet nothing changes. Crazy to think how long ago that song was made and yet it still continues, very sad.
I do have to admit the river has become a terrible thing to think about or even drive by when you know someone you can see WILL DIE. We live in such a beautiful place but it is hiding such death and destruction. The one thing that is repeated sadly almost every weekend is "No one told us how dangerous it was." But the answer to that is "There are not enough signs to fix stupid," sounds cruel but so is death. There are signs all over the place warning people of the dangers but they are ignored, just like the sign at the beginning of this post. It is a very sad thing to hear about but after hearing it repeated almost verbatim so many times it turns to anger ... Why?

This life is so precious and fragile don't fall prey to the trap of lackadaisicalness in a place of unknowns. I would hate for this to happen to a member of our Tort Family!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, never heard of this before. Maybe that's one problem too. Not shouted loud enough all over the place.
Very sad. I thought lake Michigan was bad. It takes several people a year from each state that's on it.
Your river is much more deadly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmm... 56 years x 365 days a year = 20,440 days divided by 335 deaths = one death about every two months. I wonder how many people get in that water daily and don't die. I've been to Kern River many times. Rode the rapids with a bunch of friends just a few years ago. We all made it home safely.

I think this is like shark attacks. Horrific when it happens, but it happens so infrequently considering the number of people in the water every day.

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
Native Californian here who does know about the Kern.
A friend of mine drowned there about 35 years ago. He was an experienced fisherman who had been there many times. I don’t know the details, didn’t want to ask his widow, but I was told he was wearing chest waders and that the waders somehow became water filled.
I’m looking at the Colorado from my front porch and realizing I know nothing about fatality stats here. It’s quiet now with the holiday crowd gone. The only ones using it are the local wild herd. It was 121 degrees today.

Attachments

• 5BF3BDE8-D8C6-4FFA-A3DC-02A8943D816D.jpeg
    5BF3BDE8-D8C6-4FFA-A3DC-02A8943D816D.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1
  • D920CF2D-4868-4F3A-AFF0-8A2ED12E90B4.jpeg
    D920CF2D-4868-4F3A-AFF0-8A2ED12E90B4.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Hmmm... 56 years x 365 days a year = 20,440 days divided by 335 deaths = one death about every two months. I wonder how many people get in that water daily and don't die. I've been to Kern River many times. Rode the rapids with a bunch of friends just a few years ago. We all made it home safely.

I think this is like shark attacks. Horrific when it happens, but it happens so infrequently considering the number of people in the water every day.
Take away ALL the winter days that there is no one in the water..changes those stats dramatically!
Think of it this way.....If at your favorite amusement park 5 people died every "Season" (Summer) would you feel safe going to that park? .... I think you might think twice.
Professional Rafting Companies are the ONLY ones allowed to have ANY floating device in the river. They still have serious problems every year most not fatal. A good friend of ours was friends with one of the workers on said rafts who was permanently paralyzed while on one of those trips. There are fatalities though with the rafting Co.'s, they do not get the attention of a father or mother drowning.
If you survived your days at the river you still have to make it out of our area without dying on the road. In the 10 years we have lived here there has been more than 12 deaths just within 1 Mile of our home. If you take a 10 mile strip that number is over 30. No Seatbelts or car seats drives this number, sad.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This thread reminds me of a book I bought years ago on all the creative ways people find to kill themselves at the Grand Canyon. Most of it is obvious and understandable, but some of it, and the accompanying statistics, are surprising.

Nature is dangerous. Its a dangerous world out there. Personally, I LOVE the ocean, but the ocean has had to humble me on more than one occasion.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Our world is full of ......What in the Hell happened here!
I was an avid Boogie Boarder for most of my wife and I's early years .... I'm with ya, I have been "Humbled" enough that I no longer Boogie Board. Having children dramatically changed my mentality, suddenly risks I took just weren't worth it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Having children dramatically changed my mentality, suddenly risks I took just weren't worth it.
That was me with sport bikes. My daughter was five and we were headed to a friends house. I had to pull over for an ambulance, and after the ambulance passed me, it turned left at the next intersection. As I started driving again, I looked to the left down that street and saw yet another dead body laying bloody in the street from a motorcycle crash. My daughter couldn't see it thankfully.

That one really hit home as I looked over at my beautiful little girl in the car seat next to me. The next day I saw in the paper that the guy was a veteran and had just returned home from his second tour in Afghanistan two weeks prior. The dude set two years in hostel enemy territory with people literally trying to kill him every day, and he died at home because of a dumb lady on her cell phone that was not paying attention. I sold my CBR the next week.

P.S. I still boogie board on the rare occasion that we make a beach trip, but I grew up in that water boogie boarding until I left for college in the mid 90s. Were you ever out on the water waiting for a good set and the whole world just seemed to go quiet? Too quiet? That used to scare the hell out of me and I never knew why. I would instinctively head for shore. Look up "The Malibu Artist" on YouTube. We humans still have those wild instincts. Some of us suppress those "feelings" more than others.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Just looked it up.... The Dino costume is hilarious. The Erie silence that scared the heck outta me was when I was waiting for a set all alone no one else around and I would start to think "Why is no one else here?" Being a person that didn't live at the beach I really looked to those that did live there for cues. I grew up snorkeling in Mexico and Hawaii and have seen my share of sharks and DO NOT ever want to NOT see it coming. Floating on the top without having eyes on what's going on under is just a little too much for me now. I went to Mavericks one time on my way to my Knee surgeons office (I had just had ACL and Meniscus surgery), I was humbled over and over in a short span of time and that was the start of "Rethinking" "What am I doing out here."

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I moved to Oregon from Fresno...so I heard about that river and just went to another as California is full of rivers. And I rode motorcycles for 50 years, and the only thing that happens to me is a damn big burn on my calf from a muffler

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just looked it up.... The Dino costume is hilarious. The Erie silence that scared the heck outta me was when I was waiting for a set all alone no one else around and I would start to think "Why is no one else here?" Being a person that didn't live at the beach I really looked to those that did live there for cues. I grew up snorkeling in Mexico and Hawaii and have seen my share of sharks and DO NOT ever want to NOT see it coming. Floating on the top without having eyes on what's going on under is just a little too much for me now. I went to Mavericks one time on my way to my Knee surgeons office (I had just had ACL and Meniscus surgery), I was humbled over and over in a short span of time and that was the start of "Rethinking" "What am I doing out here."
I grew up on/in the water without those "eyes" and didn't start snorkeling until the age of 13 in Catalina. Wow. What a world of difference when you can see what is happening down there and your imagination isn't running wild. My mother should have never let me watch "Jaws" at such a young age...

I spent most of my time at Manhattan 26th St. Also Hermosa, Torrance and El Porto. All were close to home and I didn't have any way to get out to other places like Mavericks. Some friends went to The Wedge, and their mom tooks pics from the shore. Once they got the pics developed, to their shock and horror, in one breaking wave there was an 8 foot blue shark not more than a few feet behind my buddy who was stylishly riding the wave, heading right at him. No one ever knew it was there on the day.

Once I got to college, I took an Oceanography class, and I understood the tides, sand movement, and the differences between the summer beach and the winter beach so easily. I aced those tests!