Death of the Scott Key Bridge

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
OMG!! I can't imagine! How awful for those on the bridge. I wonder if the driver of the ship had been imbibing.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank god it was at 1:30 in the morning. if it had been rush hour....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seriously, it looks like a bunch of tooth picks collapsing. Doesn't look very sound. Not sure I would want to drive over it.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
OMG!! I can't imagine! How awful for those on the bridge. I wonder if the driver of the ship had been imbibing.
I read that the ship lost power, so it would lose steering. The crew sent out a Mayday to the bridge authorities, giving them just enough time to stop traffic going onto the bridge. It would have been much worse with all the extra vehicles.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
The Port is obviously closed to all boat traffic. The ships below the Bay bridge are beginning to stack up as they get new orders from their home offices.

I took this on my way back home this morning.
20240327_084722_HDR.jpg

Seriously, it looks like a bunch of tooth picks collapsing. Doesn't look very sound. Not sure I would want to drive over it.
When Nature's Physics forces show themselves, men's structures look like toys.

We've all seen it 100 times. It's shocking to us only because we cope by ignoring what could happen.

I have older friends that worked building the bridge, it's only a few miles from my house and where I grew up. I was a solid bridge and my truck didn't feel sketchy when it was windy out like the Bay bridge does.

But it shows the value of engineering......once one dependent component is compromised, it's all over but the sound.

I watched in fear the first time as I saw those last cars get over, seconds before. Wow.....they acted fast and while there wasn't heavy traffic, there would have been cars/trucks on it had they not closed the lanes so fast.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Port is obviously closed to all boat traffic. The ships below the Bay bridge are beginning to stack up as they get new orders from their home offices.

I took this on my way back home this morning.
View attachment 368571

When Nature's Physics forces show themselves, men's structures look like toys.

We've all seen it 100 times. It's shocking to us only because we cope by ignoring what could happen.

I have older friends that worked building the bridge, it's only a few miles from my house and where I grew up. I was a solid bridge and my truck didn't feel sketchy when it was windy out like the Bay bridge does.

But it shows the value of engineering......once one dependent component is compromised, it's all over but the sound.

I watched in fear the first time as I saw those last cars get over, seconds before. Wow.....they acted fast and while there wasn't heavy traffic, there would have been cars/trucks on it had they not closed the lanes so fast.
What a mess.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
My wife absolutely hated that bridge. Every time we'd get close to it, I had to be the one driving. She literally hunkered down on the floor until we got to the other side. She does the same thing on the bay bridge. She got REALLY uneasy watching the news reports yesterday.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
We are over at my home working this week and took time to go to Ft Smallwood park to see the wreckage. Open in New tab to see it larger.
20240402_164409~2.jpg

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I live about 2 miles from the Bridge, some of my neighbors heard the noise and thought it was thunder. I didn't hear it go down, was asleep. As soon as it warms up , I'm going to take a ride in my canoe to see what left. I looked at that Bridge for over 30yrs. working for the Port of Baltimore from Dundalk and Seagirt Marine terminals.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
"working for the Port of Baltimore from Dundalk and Seagirt Marine terminals."

We're you a #333 Longshoreman? I only worked there as a "Longnumber" when they went on Strike in the 70's....a guy has to eat.

I know for a lot of folks that lived next to it, this is a personal issue.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Air"working for the Port of Baltimore from Dundalk and Seagirt Marine terminals."

We're you a #333 Longshoreman? I only worked there as a "Longnumber" when they went on Strike in the 70's....a guy has to eat.

I know for a lot of folks that lived next to it, this is a personal issue.
I was an employee with the State of Maryland, as a "Crane mechanic" welder by trade. But my job was a lead man for a crew of 7. Our job was to repair and fix any mechical repairs or damage, replace all wire rope on the cranes that unloaded the ships. The wire rope would very in size. 1/4" to 1 1/2" with lengths up to 2000 ft. My nick name was monkey, because I wasn't afraid of climbing.