Decision Making: Marginated vs Elongated

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Although this is not a "near" future thing, I plan on getting another tortoise in some part of the future. I currently have a leopard now, and have experience with redfoots, I think trying something new and relatively unique would be a rewarding experience. I have narrowed it down to two species:

-Marginated
-Elongated

I would love to hear any and all opinions regarding which one you think I should keep! Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Marginated torts are so pretty.
They're about he same size, but elongated tortoises live in forested areas, and have a 'more diverse' diet.
They are both so interesting, but if it were me, I'd have to go with the marginated ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you live? Is it a more temperate or tropical area? This is what would influence my decision most.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I live in northeastern Maryland so definitely not a tropical environment haha.
I would start by asking with so many different great torts why did you choose these two ? I have Marginated but I also have many more like Greeks and hermanns they are all great .

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I would start by asking with so many different great torts why did you choose these two ? I have Marginated but I also have many more like Greeks and hermanns they are all great .
They just caught my eye to be honest! I love the skirts on the marginated and the white heads that the elongated have. The size is also good to me. I am not a huge fan of the small breeds, but the medium sized ones (and larger one day) are my favorites.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Might I ask why?
You might.
But i won't reply!
Just kidding.
i agree with the others in that Marginateds have the most beautiful patterns, particularly around the edge of the carapace
And that, from what little i know about them, they should be easier to keep generally and especially in your climate.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
You might.
But i won't reply!
Just kidding.
i agree with the others in that Marginateds have the most beautiful patterns, particularly around the edge of the carapace
And that, from what little i know about them, they should be easier to keep generally and especially in your climate.
Thanks!

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Would you say that your marginateds are social? I read a bit about there behavior, but I am curious to hear what your experiences are with them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I ask your reasoning on this? Is it due to their felxible temperatures?

Marginateds are a temperate species. You live in a temperate climate. This makes keeping them relatively easy when compared to keeping a tropical species in a temperate environment.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would you say that your marginateds are social? I read a bit about there behavior, but I am curious to hear what your experiences are with them.

I know you are asking Grandpa here, but they are similar in temperament and personality to other Testudo. Adult males will usually try to kill each other. Females sometimes get along and sometimes don't. Pairs seldom work. Etc...

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Marginateds are a temperate species. You live in a temperate climate. This makes keeping them relatively easy when compared to keeping a tropical species in a temperate environment.
Right. Thats what I was thinking as well.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I know you are asking Grandpa here, but they are similar in temperament and personality to other Testudo. Adult males will usually try to kill each other. Females sometimes get along and sometimes don't. Pairs seldom work. Etc...
Okay great I assumed as much. I am not a fan of housing more than one at the time being as I do not want to tempt any fights are aggressive behavior. When and if i decided to breed any of my torts I will start to make breeding groups.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My marginals are social if social means they will chase you out of their enclosure is pie shaped at 12foot x9 foot .