Decorative Kitchen Sponges

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
:oops: I’ve had a bad couple of months making coffee and have had to clean coffee up from the kitchen counter just too many times. All it takes is to not push the carafe all the way in its spot or not push the filter basket all the way in.

I noticed yesterday that someone left a sponge next to the coffee maker and it soaked up a good bit of it on its own before I discovered it. The sponge wasn’t quite big enough to absorb all the coffee so now I’m looking for a large one just to keep next to the coffee maker, but I would like it to look OK setting on the counter all the time.

Then I remembered when the kids were little, they had decorative sponges lying around the bath tub. I don’t exactly want a duck or some other kids cartoon shape, but if I could find something that would look OK on a kitchen counter I would buy it. And if it weren’t large enough to soak up a pot of coffee then maybe a couple of sponges that complement each other.

I searched for “Decorative Kitchen Sponges” and only found the type that comes in Decorative Containers. I need the sponge to set flat on the counter to soak up what ever come its way.

Anybody have any Ideas or has seen anything like what I need?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
:oops: I’ve had a bad couple of months making coffee and have had to clean coffee up from the kitchen counter just too many times. All it takes is to not push the carafe all the way in its spot or not push the filter basket all the way in.

I noticed yesterday that someone left a sponge next to the coffee maker and it soaked up a good bit of it on its own before I discovered it. The sponge wasn’t quite big enough to absorb all the coffee so now I’m looking for a large one just to keep next to the coffee maker, but I would like it to look OK setting on the counter all the time.

Then I remembered when the kids were little, they had decorative sponges lying around the bath tub. I don’t exactly want a duck or some other kids cartoon shape, but if I could find something that would look OK on a kitchen counter I would buy it. And if it weren’t large enough to soak up a pot of coffee then maybe a couple of sponges that complement each other.

I searched for “Decorative Kitchen Sponges” and only found the type that comes in Decorative Containers. I need the sponge to set flat on the counter to soak up what ever come its way.

Anybody have any Ideas or has seen anything like what I need?

Yiu might try a micro fiber flat rectangle mop head..the flat ones..

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Thanks Angela
I looked through a lot of different sponges and finally found some White Compressed Cellulose Rectangular Sponges that might just work. They’re not exactly decorative but I can lay them around the coffee pot and they will blend in with my white counter top. If there is a spill, it will catch it before it gets to anything that’s damageable.
414vkpXFMRL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Hopefully I don’t have any more spills and thinking about painting some white alignment marks on the all black coffee maker so I can quickly spot it if it’s not all the way in. I love the coffee maker and even bought two of them for when I have quests over, but I wish there was some sort of snap in action that would not come on unless it’s in the correct position. My eyesight is bad and I just can’t see it especially when it’s all black. :eek:

Well it 's not all black only where it counts.:)
41fJ9BEya3L._AA160_.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks Angela
I looked through a lot of different sponges and finally found some White Compressed Cellulose Rectangular Sponges that might just work. They’re not exactly decorative but I can lay them around the coffee pot and they will blend in with my white counter top. If there is a spill, it will catch it before it gets to anything that’s damageable.
414vkpXFMRL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

Hopefully I don’t have any more spills and thinking about painting some white alignment marks on the all black coffee maker so I can quickly spot it if it’s not all the way in. I love the coffee maker and even bought two of them for when I have quests over, but I wish there was some sort of snap in action that would not come on unless it’s in the correct position. My eyesight is bad and I just can’t see it especially when it’s all black. :eek:

Well it 's not all black only where it counts.:)
41fJ9BEya3L._AA160_.jpg

It is annoying when the crisp eagle vision starts to fade..I always thought it was the hearing that suppose to go first..however I still seem to be able to hear all of the aholes throughput the day at work..?? Go figure...

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
It is annoying when the crisp eagle vision starts to fade..I always thought it was the hearing that suppose to go first..however I still seem to be able to hear all of the aholes throughput the day at work..?? Go figure...

Yes it is, I keep going to the eye doctor and they always say I have 20/20, but I can’t see a thing without reading glasses. They tell me its due to dryness and to use eye drops, but I just have a hard time getting the stuff in.:(

My hearing is also going and I fail my mandatory OSHA hearing test every year and every year they tell my they lost my base line so they’re going to use the current one as my baseline. :eek: I don’t think they are allowed to do that and are just trying to get out of buying me a hearing aid. :mad:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ywhoit is, I keep going to the eye doctor and they always say I have 20/20, but I can’t see a thing without reading glasses. They tell me its due to dryness and to use eye drops, but I just have a hard time getting the stuff in.:(

My hearing is also going and I fail my mandatory OSHA hearing test every year and every year they tell my they lost my base line so they’re going to use the current one as my baseline. :eek: I don’t think they are allowed to do that and are just trying to get out of buying me a hearing aid. :mad:
Lol...I never could use eye drops either...I could just never see what the hell I am doing when my head is back..miss every time and just end up spritzing more of my face than the eye..cruel design.I knew a guy who had hearing aids and it was hard to sit near him because my hearing is good and I could hear the damn thing hum...damned if you do damned you if dont...ahh the beauty of growing up..but some days I just oull the reading glasses off and enjoy the imperfections I can not see..go with it and say what the hell..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lol...I never could use eye drops either...I could just never see what the hell I am doing when my head is back..miss every time and just end up spritzing more of my face than the eye..cruel design.I knew a guy who had hearing aids and it was hard to sit near him because my hearing is good and I could hear the damn thing hum...damned if you do damned you if dont...ahh the beauty of growing up..but some days I just oull the reading glasses off and enjoy the imperfections I can not see..go with it and say what the hell..

Apology for the typos..I am using a mini tablet and the touch screen catches my imperfections..lol

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think the ones you remember from your kids' baths are the sponges you can buy at the craft store. They come in shapes, usually in the paint aisle.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I think the ones you remember from your kids' baths are the sponges you can buy at the craft store. They come in shapes, usually in the paint aisle.

Thanks Yellow Turtle, I did some more research on those compressed sponges and found out that hobbyist use them to make interesting shapes and then use markers to draw on them as well. So I ordered some 8x11 sheets and we are going to cut something out of them. Maybe even contour them to fit around the coffee maker and cut a different shape on the other side.
They come in a few colors besides white and we were stuck for a while on what to buy and then we decided to make our own colors. ;)
Now we are stuck on what design to do. :(

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks Yellow Turtle, I did some more research on those compressed sponges and found out that hobbyist use them to make interesting shapes and then use markers to draw on them as well. So I ordered some 8x11 sheets and we are going to cut something out of them. Maybe even contour them to fit around the coffee maker and cut a different shape on the other side.
They come in a few colors besides white and we were stuck for a while on what to buy and then we decided to make our own colors. ;)
Now we are stuck on what design to do. :(
Tortoises!