Dent in back of Sulcata shell

jonyaple

Location (City and/or State)
Henderson, NV
I've had my sulcata for a little over a year but just started to notice a small dent on the back left of its shell. I've been careful to make sure humidity is always high to prevent pyramiding and that it always has water. I also give it a varied diet with calcium supplement and Mazuri LS pellets. Will the dent disappear eventually or is this something to worry about?

It's hard to see it in pictures but this is the best angle I could get to show the dent.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• sulcata dent.jpg
    sulcata dent.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had my sulcata for a little over a year but just started to notice a small dent on the back left of its shell. I've been careful to make sure humidity is always high to prevent pyramiding and that it always has water. I also give it a varied diet with calcium supplement and Mazuri LS pellets. Will the dent disappear eventually or is this something to worry about?

It's hard to see it in pictures but this is the best angle I could get to show the dent.

Thanks in advance!
That is normal. Most sulcatas have that same "depression" in that part of the shell.

Does your tortoise get a calcium rich diet? Calcium supplementation? Does the tortoise get direct sunshine in an outdoor enclosure? Indoor UV?

Check this out:

jonyaple

Henderson, NV
Does your tortoise get a calcium rich diet? Calcium supplementation? Does the tortoise get direct sunshine in an outdoor enclosure? Indoor UV?

I supplement with calcium powder almost every day. I have a UV bulb that's on for about 5 hours a day also but no outdoor UV since it's still a bit small and don't want it being taken by a coyote or cat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I supplement with calcium powder almost every day. I have a UV bulb that's on for about 5 hours a day also but no outdoor UV since it's still a bit small and don't want it being taken by a coyote or cat.
Calcium supplements should only be given a couple of times per week. Daily is too much. Calcium interferes with the absorption of other important nutrients and trace elements. They need it, but not too much or too often. I prefer to get them their calcium through calcium rich foods like weeds, leaves, and opuntia pads.

What type of UV bulb are you using and how far from the tortoise is it.

Make a secure outdoor enclosure for your baby. Some outside time is good for them. Exercise, natural grazing, warmth from the sun, and of course UV. Here are some ways to do it safely:
IMG_7318.jpg
7907461_orig.jpg
IMG_7276.jpg

jonyaple

Henderson, NV
Calcium supplements should only be given a couple of times per week. Daily is too much. Calcium interferes with the absorption of other important nutrients and trace elements. They need it, but not too much or too often. I prefer to get them their calcium through calcium rich foods like weeds, leaves, and opuntia pads.

I'll cut down on the calcium supplements and try to get it some natural UV. I'm not sure what UV bulb it is but it's about 12" away. Will definitely work on making an enclosure for it outside. Thanks for the advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'll cut down on the calcium supplements and try to get it some natural UV. I'm not sure what UV bulb it is but it's about 12" away. Will definitely work on making an enclosure for it outside. Thanks for the advice!
You need to know what UV bulb you are using. It might be a bad one, or it might not be enough. All the calcium in the world is useless if a tortoise isn't getting regular exposure to quality UV so that it can make D3.

I was asking about this because misshapen shells can be the result of MBD. MBD happens when there is a lack of calcium or a lack of UVB and D3. Pet stores often give terrible advice and sell the wrong products. They may have recommended a poor UV lamp for you. This probably wouldn't be an issue for someone like you or me living in a warm climate because we can get our tortoises outside for some real direct sunshine most of every year. BUT... you haven't been doing that for fear of predation, so your tortoise has only been getting the indoor UV. You need to know what it is to know if it is adequate, and make an immediate change if it is not adequate.

Sometimes you get more "help" than you bargained for. :)