Desert or texas or ??

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
nancykj said:
MildredsMommy said:
Must be the season-I had the same issue on this boy I adopted last week. The person I got it from said Sulcata, then it went back and forth between Desert and Texas. Crazy!

he is very beautiful! i will try to get a pic of mine and his gulars in the next day or so, but i can't say my guy is as good-looking as yours!

Thank you! :D I would love to see a pic-I am sure he is quite handsome!

nancykj

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
nancykj, the reason I suspected hybrid is because I too was given a tortoise that I need to post pictures on for positive identification (sorry, I haven't yet because I am a lame-oid when it comes to posting pics) but it is also a fair complexion (LOL) little bit of Texas there I totally suspect desert tortoise. Pictures of mine can be found in the link below but I need to do the vital plastron one, to be sure. My leopard tortoise babies breeder had a friend give it to him after 3 weeks of trying to find its owners. It was found in an industrial part of Los Angeles on Figueroa Street. What? Signs on poles for weeks, and craigslist ads in 3 counties, for a month, before I was finally given the opportunity to adopt this funky (thanks Will) tortoise, hence his name FunkeeDeeTee. Love-love-love him. : )

Here is mine: http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-78291.html

OMG, he does look sad and tired! i am so so happy you were able to become his caretaker. FunkeeDeeTee! perfect! how is he doing in his new home? will you hibernate him this year?
now, i want a chaco too and i don't even know what one is! but i will search this forum and learn

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh no you don't nancykj. No, nope, uh-huh, nein, na, non, nyet! The chaco is one of the Holy Grails of tortoises, along with Bolson, Ploughshare ... LOL. Don't even get started with that one. They are rather darling though. Like me wanting a Bolson. They are elusive.

Poor little Funkee. I wish I was a pet psychic and could get his story. Where were you born? who's your momma? who's your poppa? Why were you on Figueroa strolling along singing your song? Industrial area of Los Angeles where he was found. Lots of junk cars, oil, metal scrapping, stinky, gritty. What is a funky tortoise doing in those parts of town for goodness sake? How did he get there? Did he escape a junk yard? Who knows! Love him to bits!

Lots of soaks, twice a day when I first got him, with bird vitamins and alternate days with baby food. He did not eat for several days. New environment stress, I am sure. Thanks to Yvonne and Maggie who have shared so much of their experiences on TFO and when I was a troll member, before joining, I read a lot of their posts. Plus our family has 4 which were inherited from grandpa, born for sure in 1952 since he plucked them from the desert when he almost stepped on one and then spent hours with grandma looking for more so they would not be birdie lunch. And no way. Funkee does not get brumation time this year. No way, no how. Too scary. I am keeping his butt up so I can continue to monitor him and be sure of his health. He will go to the vet for an annual physical at some point but have not done this yet. He is eating and pooping and doing awesome. Did I tell you I l-o-v-e love him tons? : )

MildredsMommy, oh goodness, your for sure Texas Tortoise is divine. Look at that little wonder. Super cute. Awesome! : )

nancykj

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Oh no you don't nancykj. No, nope, uh-huh, nein, na, non, nyet! The chaco is one of the Holy Grails of tortoises, along with Bolson, Ploughshare ... LOL. Don't even get started with that one. They are rather darling though. Like me wanting a Bolson. They are elusive.

Poor little Funkee. I wish I was a pet psychic and could get his story. Where were you born? who's your momma? who's your poppa? Why were you on Figueroa strolling along singing your song? Industrial area of Los Angeles where he was found. Lots of junk cars, oil, metal scrapping, stinky, gritty. What is a funky tortoise doing in those parts of town for goodness sake? How did he get there? Did he escape a junk yard? Who knows! Love him to bits!

Lots of soaks, twice a day when I first got him, with bird vitamins and alternate days with baby food. He did not eat for several days. New environment stress, I am sure. Thanks to Yvonne and Maggie who have shared so much of their experiences on TFO and when I was a troll member, before joining, I read a lot of their posts. Plus our family has 4 which were inherited from grandpa, born for sure in 1952 since he plucked them from the desert when he almost stepped on one and then spent hours with grandma looking for more so they would not be birdie lunch. And no way. Funkee does not get brumation time this year. No way, no how. Too scary. I am keeping his butt up so I can continue to monitor him and be sure of his health. He will go to the vet for an annual physical at some point but have not done this yet. He is eating and pooping and doing awesome. Did I tell you I l-o-v-e love him tons? : )

MildredsMommy, oh goodness, your for sure Texas Tortoise is divine. Look at that little wonder. Super cute. Awesome! : )

lol on the chaco! lucky lucky little funkee! walking down figueroa singing his song...way cool imagery!

joxer*.jpgjoxer**.jpgok, i hope i am not boring you guys too much on my little boy. here are a couple of pics i took tonite of his gulars. he is a bad boy and struggled mightily as i tried to get clear pics, so i just took a couple of poor shots and called it a night. not fair to stress him out. he knows who he is.....

Last edited by a moderator:

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Bob.jpg
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

Thanks BeeBee! His name is now "Bob". (My hubby and I are Bob Marley fans-lol) Here is a pic after his soak last night :)

Last edited by a moderator: