Desert Tortoise Adoption Program

ladyvalkyrie

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Sill, Oklahoma
So, Husband and I are looking in to a second tort, but per military housing standards, we can only get one "in accordance with the desert tortoise adoption program". Our housing paper work says nothing about that program, nor does Google. I'm going to talk to the main housing office tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what that is? And if you do, what are your thoughts on it?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
In AZ we can have one DT per family member in house hold ( so if 3 people live in house you can have 3dt's )but I could be wroug !

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
If that's what it is, that'd be cool because we could get the Sulcata we want. And I doubt they know enough about torts to say anything about Deryn. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'd better check with the housing authority and find out exactly what the rules are. Being in Texas, it probably isn't talking about sulcatas, but rather the desert tortoise native to Texas, Gopherus berlandieri. I'd hate to see you get a sulcata only to find out you have to get rid of it.

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
Oh absolutely. A sulcata is on our want list, but we want to wait until it's warmer to adopt one, so it's nice to know the rules so we can plan accordingly. We're actually in Oklahoma now, are there even any species native to here? But I'm going to stop by Housing later and find out for sure. Hopefully they know so we can start planning for tort number 2.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just in case you didn't already know, your tortoises will need to be housed individually. Sorry if you already know that.

ladyvalkyrie

Fort Sill, Oklahoma
Definitely, but I appreciate you checking. We have a game plan, but the Sulcata is going to have to wait until he's out of the Army.
I just went to Housing, and they said since Deryn won't get huge I can have her in the house, but no excessively large torts. Thanks everyone for your suggestions/looking out for us (and our future torts).