Desert tortoise concern

M

Maggie Cummings

Usually when they have an URTI they open mouth breathe and are off their food. And blow bubbles./
I just saw that tortoise drinking...

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
They both were doing the weird neck stretching/bobbing thing this morning during their soak; the one in the video finally made a poo in the tub, then the small one (Mojave) made a poo in the temporary enclosure right after I put them back.

Sahara started munching down on a dahlia flower, mazui mixed with hay/weeds, the minute I put them back... Mojave just kind of went back to sleep. I will make sure Mojave eats tonight, although, hopefully s/he will eat throughout the day. But if I don't see them eating/drinking then it doesn't count.. LOL!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sahara started munching down on a dahlia flower, mazui mixed with hay/weeds, the minute I put them back... Mojave just kind of went back to sleep.

Please understand that this species is high assertive with one another...and any other tortoise for that matter (regardless of size)....this here sounds like subtle bullying....see, you and I don't know the sex of each...likely they are both males....which means that one will dominate and one will be FORCED to submit...which is not natural at all...in their own space and their own right--each would be dominant and happy. In a forced captive situation, one will win and one will, well lose.....

Stacking, one outgoing and one withdrawn are two signs already loudly speaking of bullying....I would offer a way for them each to have their own spaces....very important for the overall health and mental well being...

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Absolutely! Do you think a 4'x4' enclosure would be large enough to house both of them comfortably, with lists of sight barriers, hides, two or three water dishes and two food rocks, would be okay or should I put a divider in the middle to make it 2'x4'?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perhaps for indoor time, you could do a total 8 foot long and then install a divider to break it down to 4 foot each....?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Perhaps for indoor time, you could do a total 8 foot long and then install a divider to break it down to 4 foot each....?
I have another 4'x4' enclosure I was planning on putting Mr. Binker and two more baby red foots in, but I am sure I can just relocate the sofa to somewhere else in the house and simply get another 4'x4' set up, it might take a month or so... In the interim, would feeding them separate help to alleviate any growth issues? I have been watching them closely, and the little one has yet to eat while I watch but both are basking under the basking light and sleeping in their hides. Both are active and stroll the enclosure... But I know, in the end, they will be better off separate and plan to do so as soon as possible!!