Desert Tortoise Not Eating

GMCNEILL

Location (City and/or State)
SPARKS
Hi there! My desert tortoise is not eating. He stays outside during the day. We are experiencing very hot temperatures. I have been soaking him every day. He also isn't pooping everyday. Here and there. He mostly has the white urinates in urine. He is 38 years old.. ooce in awhile he will eat some roses but not much and again not lately.. i don't know if the hot tempures might be causing this. It is also very smokey due to massive wildland fires. I try to bring him in because of the heat and smoke. He doesn't want ti be inside. I'm concerned due to not eating. I give him kale. Chard, colllards, romaine and few snap peas. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. I've had him 4 years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there! My desert tortoise is not eating. He stays outside during the day. We are experiencing very hot temperatures. I have been soaking him every day. He also isn't pooping everyday. Here and there. He mostly has the white urinates in urine. He is 38 years old.. ooce in awhile he will eat some roses but not much and again not lately.. i don't know if the hot tempures might be causing this. It is also very smokey due to massive wildland fires. I try to bring him in because of the heat and smoke. He doesn't want ti be inside. I'm concerned due to not eating. I give him kale. Chard, colllards, romaine and few snap peas. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. I've had him 4 years.
What is the temperature down in his burrow? Does he have a man made burrow, or did he dig one himself?

If he doesn't hav e burrow, or some way to escape the intense summer heat, then you have found your problem.

By the way, those are not great food choices. Read this for care and food tips:

GMCNEILL

SPARKS
What is the temperature down in his burrow? Does he have a man made burrow, or did he dig one himself?

If he doesn't hav e burrow, or some way to escape the intense summer heat, then you have found your problem.

By the way, those are not great food choices. Read this for care and food tips:
He has dug his own burrow
Its somewhat moist in the shade under the honeysuckle. Temps are 85-90 at that point I bring him inside.

I have read the care sheet. I guess I'm confused about food. I thought I read that kale, chard, spring mix was okay. I buy organic from the grocery store as there isn't any other option.

Thank you for your response.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He has dug his own burrow
Its somewhat moist in the shade under the honeysuckle. Temps are 85-90 at that point I bring him inside.

I have read the care sheet. I guess I'm confused about food. I thought I read that kale, chard, spring mix was okay. I buy organic from the grocery store as there isn't any other option.

Thank you for your response.
In the care sheet, I explain what to do when grocery store food is the only option. Favor endive and escarole. Add in occasional kale, collards, cilantro, arugula, and more for variety. The primary take away is that all of these must be amended to add fiber and nutrition. The amendments are explained in the care sheet.

You can buy opuntia pads in any Mexican grocery store, and sometimes in other stores too. These are a natural food for DTs, and I consider them a must for any captive DT.

There are lots of opuntia stands, mulberry trees, grape vines and much more in Sparks. It will take some time to find them, but its worth the time. You can also grow your own stuff in pots, or the yard.