Harvey_Halfshell

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton
Hi everyone, I took Harvey to the vets and the vet said that he had most likely slowed down his eating cuz he was in a kind of Summer hibernation (name of this please?) due to hot weather but it has since cooled down and he is still extremely lethargic and not eating much. He will eat his favourite weeds, leaves and a bit of cucumber if I hand feed him but won't touch the weeds growing in his enclosure. Also yesterday he was making a strange sound somewhere between a bark and a croak. I assume it is some kind of mating call but he is only 6! Any thoughts?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. He looks very small for 6 years what does he weigh. Do this on kitchen scales and balance him carefully on a ramekin dish or a container he fits in and set zero and add him to find weight and keepca weekly log this helps check fir weight gain snd loss.
I have a Russian and he is active, had a good soak this morning, outside and cleared his food today i.e no brumation and I am in UK!

So now you need to check set up inc heat, substrate, hide, diet and water inc hydration. I really recommend a digital temp gun to spot check temps as he may be cold.
Please read this care sheet composed by a breeder on this group and cross check set up....

Harvey_Halfshell

Southampton
Hi and welcome. He looks very small for 6 years what does he weigh. Do this on kitchen scales and balance him carefully on a ramekin dish or a container he fits in and set zero and add him to find weight and keepca weekly log this helps check fir weight gain snd loss.
I have a Russian and he is active, had a good soak this morning, outside and cleared his food today i.e no brumation and I am in UK!

So now you need to check set up inc heat, substrate, hide, diet and water inc hydration. I really recommend a digital temp gun to spot check temps as he may be cold.
Please read this care sheet composed by a breeder on this group and cross check set up....

Hi Sarah, thanks for this. His shell is 13cm long by 10cm at the widest point and his weight is 533g. Indoors he has a heat lamp and a UV strip and outside he has the option of full sun, shade and water. He is very inactive and burrows a lot but likes weeds if he is hand-fed or presented directly with them.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Summer “hibernation” = Estivation

Hibernation or “winter sleep” is the state of inactivity or low metabolic process performed by animals during winters. Aestivation or “summer sleep”, on the other hand, is the low metabolic process by animals during summers.