Desert Tortoise or Sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zalameria

5 Year Member
Hi everyone again! I finally got my torts to a good vet and they told me that Mr Dent is actually MISS Dent! And that it was possible she was a sulcata? do you guys know?

I was not prepared for a sulcata at my house. I currently have Ralf, the 30yro desert tort that pretty much takes care of himself grazing on my grass and eating occasional veggies/flowers etc i bring him.

It gets down to 40's all winter here (with some 30s) and high will be 50-60... i've read sulcatas need warmth? I am also worried because the plants will be dying that she will eat... like i said, not prepared for her not to hibernate!

Thanks!

Attachments

• miss_dent.jpg
    miss_dent.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 149

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I don't think that is actually a sulcata, I don't see any front leg spikes on it.

zalameria

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I don't think that is actually a sulcata, I don't see any front leg spikes on it.

oh i got you! yeah, no spike arms! oh what a relief. i mean, it would be cool to have a giant tort that never hibernates ;-) but i didnt think my climate was suitable!

so a desert tort then?

Thanks!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I would def. say a desert tortoise, especially since it looks like it has got a F&G permit sticker on the back, do you mind me asking what state you are in?

zalameria

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I would def. say a desert tortoise, especially since it looks like it has got a F&G permit sticker on the back, do you mind me asking what state you are in?

welll.... thats the sticker the local tortoise guy gave me to put on. they both came with nothing. i dont know why not. the license plate on my car stays with it! why not the tort? haha

i'm in Ridgecrest CA. High Desert :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whew! Jessie wipes brow in relief! Its deff NOT a sulcata. You have a poorly raised desert tortoise. They make the very best pets.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Is Ralf and Dent together in the same enclosure...u might have some lil ones roaming around in the future:)

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
IowaGuy28 said:
Clearly a box turtle :p

Or, a turtle in a box :)

If that picture is in his/her enclosure, you might consider taking the river rock out. The rocks will get a little hot on the tortoise feet, just a suggestion.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Arnold_rules said:
IowaGuy28 said:

If that picture is in his/her enclosure, you might consider taking the river rock out. The rocks will get a little hot on the tortoise feet, just a suggestion.
Having some rocks in there is a good way of keeping the nails trimmed, as long as the entire enclosure is not rock filled.

zalameria

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Arnold_rules said:
IowaGuy28 said:

Having some rocks in there is a good way of keeping the nails trimmed, as long as the entire enclosure is not rock filled.
Thanks everyone! yeah i need to probably keep them separate if they are now breedable! the rocks are just in one section in my yard. most of the yard is grass. their enclosure is in my desert portion. They live there in the dirt with the cactus and their burrows until i get home and i take them out to graze on the grass and have some more room.

Status
Not open for further replies.