Diamondback terrapin

hobbie1993

Location (City and/or State)
IL
Am getting a pair of Diamondback terrapin turtles and am thinking of putting a moss ball in the tank. Does anybody know if this kind of plant is safe for these turtle? I have seen them in other turtle tanks on youtube. But I want to be safe then sorry. Thanks

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome :D
After a quick Googling, it seems like moss balls are ripped apart fairly quickly by turtles, but nothing on whether they are toxic or not... which does not mean they are safe.
Even if your terrapins leave them intact, I don't know about their edible quality. Maybe @Anthony P can tell you :)
Good luck with new turtles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What do moss balls do?
They keep my water clean longer, keeps algae off the glass longer and also, with the frogs water, which had no filter, it kept it clean and no algae build up either more months. Like three or four months then I get new ones. I did water changes of course during this time, but there is no slime/algae build up at all.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
They keep my water clean longer, keeps algae off the glass longer and also, with the frogs water, which had no filter, it kept it clean and no algae build up either more months. Like three or four months then I get new ones. I did water changes of course during this time, but there is no slime/algae build up at all.
Damn that would have helped a ton on my last tank. It got overrun with algae not matter how much I scrubbed or did water changes or brought different species of algae eaters! Haha.
Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Damn that would have helped a ton on my last tank. It got overrun with algae not matter how much I scrubbed or did water changes or brought different species of algae eaters! Haha.
Thank you!
The ones I used, not sure if there are other types, seemed to be like a cats toy ball, with probably carbon in the middle and then the green moss covering it all. It felt like green fur, so not sure if it was real moss or not, but it worked great.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
The ones I used, not sure if there are other types, seemed to be like a cats toy ball, with probably carbon in the middle and then the green moss covering it all. It felt like green fur, so not sure if it was real moss or not, but it worked great.
I'll keep that in mind if my current tank starts getting alae-fied. I moved it so it's away from any windows this time. :)

hobbie1993

IL
Welcome :D
After a quick Googling, it seems like moss balls are ripped apart fairly quickly by turtles, but nothing on whether they are toxic or not... which does not mean they are safe.
Even if your terrapins leave them intact, I don't know about their edible quality. Maybe @Anthony P can tell you :)
Good luck with new turtles.
Thanks for the info Yellow Turtle01. if @Anthony P can shed some light on the edibility that would be great!

hobbie1993

IL
wellington, I agree with everybody, they are great in fish tanks!!!!!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Hey there! Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. The moss balls should be fine. Give it a try and see how they do. The turtles might mess with them enough to keep the balls from doing well. I doubt DBTs will mess with them too much, but they are super active turtles, so who knows, really.

They can, like any aquatic plants, keep the water much cleaner as they remove waste from the water. Are you buying the balls from a pet store, already in water, or the dry ones in a box, that grow once you place them in water yourself?

hobbie1993

IL
20150830_144127.jpg No worries thanks for the information! I have one more question for you, my lighting that provided uvb and uva burned out today
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000256DP4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)
. So I did some reading on lighting (http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/) and there is alot out there! can I just use a flood light for heating and some uvb need (Like the article suggests)? If I go that route what other lighting would you recommend for uvb and uva. I hope this was not confusing :) . Here what my set upi looks like now but am going to tweak it.20150830_144139.jpg

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
When I got my two Terrapins I had a Pleco, fancy guppies, and ghost shrimp. Also had moss balls and a bunch of other plants. My Terrapins were only a few months old like yours (yolk still on their stomachs). The tank looked great and everything ran smooth for a few months. Eventually they started to nip at the fish and destroy the plants. They never liked the moss balls enough to eat them tho. I'd keep them in as long as they don't shred them up... That could lead to a disaster with the filter.

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
No problem. Your tank looks good! You might want to consider investing in a canister filter soon. These guys grow fast and you'll need good filtration. I've had an EHEIM Classic 250 External Canister Filter since the day I got my little guys. Will have to upgrade soon though. Any questions just let me know:)

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
View attachment 146066 No worries thanks for the information! I have one more question for you, my lighting that provided uvb and uva burned out today
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000256DP4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20)
. So I did some reading on lighting (http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Habitats-Care/Reptile-Lighting-Information/) and there is alot out there! can I just use a flood light for heating and some uvb need (Like the article suggests)? If I go that route what other lighting would you recommend for uvb and uva. I hope this was not confusing :) . Here what my set upi looks like now but am going to tweak it.View attachment 146069
Gah! Get rid of that coil bulb! They are damaging to their eyes.