Diet Help

laymanh

Location (City and/or State)
PHOENIX
So my subadult Russian Tortoise is somewhat a picky eater and I’m trying to see if what I’m giving her is okay or if I need to add more. She won’t eat anything that’s not green, I’ve tried sweet peppers, carrots, and tomatoes and she doesn’t seem to like any fruit. I know fruit is only supposed to be a treat so I should I continue to try find something or not bother? I just found out today that she will not eat anything that is green as she doesn’t like baby bok choy or basil. She LOVES squash so her diet is that and curly endives pretty much. I was giving her cactus at one point but she stopped eating it after a while. I used to give her arugula too should I add that back in? I was also giving her dandelion greens but I read those are a diruertic and was worried she was becoming dehydrated. What is y’all’s opinions on Tortoise Diet? Is that something I should look into adding in?

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
So my subadult Russian Tortoise is somewhat a picky eater and I’m trying to see if what I’m giving her is okay or if I need to add more. She won’t eat anything that’s not green, I’ve tried sweet peppers, carrots, and tomatoes and she doesn’t seem to like any fruit. I know fruit is only supposed to be a treat so I should I continue to try find something or not bother? I just found out today that she will not eat anything that is green as she doesn’t like baby bok choy or basil. She LOVES squash so her diet is that and curly endives pretty much. I was giving her cactus at one point but she stopped eating it after a while. I used to give her arugula too should I add that back in? I was also giving her dandelion greens but I read those are a diruertic and was worried she was becoming dehydrated. What is y’all’s opinions on Tortoise Diet? Is that something I should look into adding in?
Hello and welcome! First off, it’s great that you care about your RT’s diet. Your reaching out means you want the best for them. I will say that it’s great they only like greens. That’s what they need! Escarole, endive, dandelions, radicchio and arugula are all great. I’ll attach the very best care sheet to help you with providing optimal care for for your tort.

Good luck!

laymanh

PHOENIX
Hello and welcome! First off, it’s great that you care about your RT’s diet. Your reaching out means you want the best for them. I will say that it’s great they only like greens. That’s what they need! Escarole, endive, dandelions, radicchio and arugula are all great. I’ll attach the very best care sheet to help you with providing optimal care for for your tort.

Good luck!

Thank you! I’ll refer to that care sheet. And yeah I really just want to make sure she is happy and healthy. I put off purchasing a tortoise for a very long time because I was afraid with my ADHD that it was a hyper focus and I would eventually get bored of her but now that she’s here I see that could never happen I love her so much!