diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I have some newbie questions about feeding them.

1. how should I feed them, i mean like how many times a day?feeding time, hourly?
2. I know hatchling need calcium powder everyday, but is it for every meal? how do I balance the proper amount?
3.I see people also feed them mazuri, zoomed grassland tortoise food. how often should I give them this kind of food? should I these kind of food in their regular daily meal,or feed them separate?
4.I was checking on this site about pyramiding in tortoise, i don't quite understand the following factors that causes pyramiding:Too much phosphorous,Too many oxalates in diet,Lack of fiber,Too much food(how do I prevent to over feed them)
what kind of foods that contains above element?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
HtVic said:
Hi all,

I have some newbie questions about feeding them.

1. how should I feed them, i mean like how many times a day?feeding time, hourly?
2. I know hatchling need calcium powder everyday, but is it for every meal? how do I balance the proper amount?
3.I see people also feed them mazuri, zoomed grassland tortoise food. how often should I give them this kind of food? should I these kind of food in their regular daily meal,or feed them separate?
4.I was checking on this site about pyramiding in tortoise, i don't quite understand the following factors that causes pyramiding:Too much phosphorous,Too many oxalates in diet,Lack of fiber,Too much food(how do I prevent to over feed them)
what kind of foods that contains above element?

It would really help to know more about your tort- species, size, habitat, etc. but in general...

1. Once a day.
2. A small sprinkling of calcium once or twice a week is enough- just remember that calcium without vitamin D is not going to be used correctly.
3. If you want to use it, it works nicely and you can mix it or separate it- they don't care.
4. None of that stuff seems to really affect pyramiding by itself. The main culprit seems to be when the shell is not growing the right way. This can be dietary, environmental, etc. but something is usually wrong. A common problem is dehydration since most of our houses are low in humidity.

There are a lot of helpful articles and links at the Tortoise Library that may help- see the link below in my signature.

HtVic

5 Year Member
thanks guys
that helps alot.
by the way, I am having a Greek baby tortoise.
So I can only feed them once a day, what time do usually feed them? like in the morning, lunch or dinner?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know why you can only feed once a day, however if so feed in the a.m. Then they can eat what ever they don't finish through out the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.