Different Perception of Turtles as Solitary Reptiles

Busy Paw Life_Texas

Location (City and/or State)
Colleyville, Texas
What I witnessed with Shelby completely changed my perception of turtles as solitary reptiles. Today, I brought home a new turtle (pending a name) and spent two hours observing their interactions, primarily to check for any signs of health issues. Shelby, meanwhile, was on the other side of her enclosure, happily exploring after eating her favorite meal of live mealworms rolled in powdered calcium, fresh veggie salad, and warmed fruits. At first, she was timid, retreating to her hiding spot under her house with leftovers.

Normally, Shelby would stay hidden for quite a while, but today was different. I noticed her watching the new turtle with me, as it paced around, clearly stressed and looking for an escape. After about an hour, something remarkable happened: Shelby emerged from her hiding place and walked across the enclosure toward the new turtle. At first, I assumed it was a territorial behavior, but instead, she returned to her safe spot and repeated the action twice more, each time looking back at the new turtle. On the third attempt, the new turtle finally followed her. I was curious whether I had interpreted this correctly, so I lifted Shelby’s house, and there they were—resting side by side.
Shelby has always been a unique turtle, highly aware of her surroundings since the day I found her. Once a wild turtle, she’s now completely adjusted to her new life, even waiting for me in the mornings for a shell rub. She allows me to clean her face, feed her strawberries, and give her live crickets. Shelby’s grace and intelligence always impress me, but today, her actions seemed to display something far beyond instinct.

I remember the first day I met her; she stared at me with those beautiful hazel green eyes during my initial inspection, and I immediately felt a bond. Ever since, Shelby has continually amazed me with her gentle demeanor and curious temperament. Today, watching her guide the new turtle and then rest beside it was not just endearing, but it also revealed an unexpected depth to her personality. Shelby is indeed a very special turtle, full of surprises, and today’s event only strengthened the admiration I have for her.

Attachments

• Image 9-11-24 at 1.36 PM (1).jpeg
    Image 9-11-24 at 1.36 PM (1).jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0