digital timers

THEADEMARCO

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hey, so I am looking to get a reliable digital timer. I have a UVB strip, two CHEs, and of course a basking bulb.
Would this be good for putting all of them on? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V2LCW6K/?tag=
If not, would it be appropriate for me to buy two and spread my components out between them? Really I just need timers that can be tuned through your phone, because I will be out the house for about a week. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If those outlets can be programmed to work independently, then yes, that one will work. If not, you need two separate timers.

Also, a couple of things:
1. CHEs should not be on a timer, those should be on a thermostat to maintain ambient temps above the set point. You could set this on a third timer if you want the enclosure to cool to ambient room temp over night, and then warm up during the day, but you still need a thermostat. You would just run the thermostat through the timer.
2. Your UV strip should only be on for a few hours mid day, so it needs a separate timer than your basking bulb, which should be on for 12-13 hours a day.
3. If these items are on timers and thermostats, you will not need to be turning them on or off when you are out of the house. The timers and thermostat will turn them on and off automatically.
4. You also need strong ambient lighting, unless we are talking about a forest tortoise species like a red foot. Ambient lighting can be on the same timers as your basking bulb.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!

Tom nailed it first :)

With thermostats BN-Link is among recommended brands, I have a simple ExoTerra (worked more than a year without issues). You may get two thermostats for backup, just in case. I think ZooMed or HabiStat are good ones too. They are not "smart", but can be coupled with a smart temperature sensor.

For the lamps I would use smart sockets/strips from the more or less known brand (it's about app quality and reliability and, I hope, about build quality as well). I have a bunch of TP-Link Tapo individual sockets (in UK smart power strips should be available too) - no issues so far.