timers?

THEADEMARCO

Location (City and/or State)
London
I turn my lights on and off manually every day, which is fine but i think timers would be far more effective. For example sometimes after a long week I will oversleep on a Saturday, or be out the house and I cannot get the precision that I would like. My question is how do timers work? Do I need one timer for each of my lights? How do I connect the timer to the lights? As you can tell, I am very confused on the whole situation.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Timers are usually simple sockets with dial or display and buttons to set the time. There are more sophisitcated ones with multiple sockets, several schedules and so on. And there is a new kid in the block - "smart sockets" which connect to home Wifi and allow to check/set everything from a smartphone app. I ended up with smart sockets.

You might not need timer on each light - basking bulb and ambient light turns on and off together, just use a powerstrip or a double socket adapter for them to connect to a single timer socket. UVB lamp needs a separate timer socket.

Here is the picture to get an idea (Link)

THEADEMARCO

London
Thank you very much. I actually already have all my lights on a powerstrip so it will be very easy to use the same timer for the basking bulb and CHE. I will look into the smart sockets.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I have digital timers I use for when Mojo goes to pet daycare when we go on vacation. I have smart switches I use at home with the echo.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you very much. I actually already have all my lights on a powerstrip so it will be very easy to use the same timer for the basking bulb and CHE. I will look into the smart sockets.
Check the amperage rating on the timer.
You'd probably be fine using a single timer with a power strip that is connected to a few florescent or LED lights. But heating elements. Etc pull a lot more power and might require their own timer.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I run my lights on timers and my heating elements on thermostats... the timer for the lights can be pretty much any timer, but the heating elements draw pretty serious power, so it's worth your while to get a pretty beefy one.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 121603.png

THEADEMARCO

London
Thanks for letting me know. I'll get the oen you showed for my basking bulb and CHE. As for the UVB i assume just any timer will be fine.