Dirt as substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsross1970

5 Year Member
I'm thinking of trying using dirt from thier outside pen in on their tort table. I have them on cypress now ...but its hard to get here sometimes, and I would think that using dirt would be natural for them anyhow. By the way..these are redfoot sub adults I'm keeping. So maybe the dirt could help with humidity. Please send me some feedback. thanks :D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I used a combination of dirt/sand in my indoor enclosure last winter, with a bit of cypress mulch on top. It worked well, but you have to break up the dirt every so often because it gets packed from the urine/water spills. I liked it better than just mulch. In the spring I simply dumped the dirt into a few low spots in the lawn. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I always use soil, mixed with peat moss for inside and outside. I sprinkle a little Cypress mulch on top. The Peat Moss retains the moisture and keeps the soil loose. I use Miracle Grow moisture soil in both my boxies enclosures and my Redfoot. 1 half peat...1 half soil. Been doing this for a very long time. The plants grow great too.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I use dirt mixed with coco coir in Nelson's indoor enclosure.
I use plain dirt outside and he actually seems to enjoy that better...he will dig/burrow in it. Although that could be because I keep it more damp outside.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
ChiKat said:
I use dirt mixed with coco coir in Nelson's indoor enclosure.
I use plain dirt outside and he actually seems to enjoy that better...he will dig/burrow in it. Although that could be because I keep it more damp outside.

Oh..I forgot about that. Is coco coir the one that comes in a brick and you have to hydrate it for it to expand? I also use that if I don't have any peat moss. It's almost the same.

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
terryo said:
Is coco coir the one that comes in a brick and you have to hydrate it for it to expand?

That's the stuff. I'm using it now, but I have a line on the cypress mulch for when it's time to change out the coco.

Status
Not open for further replies.