Discussion: Prepared Tortoise Foods, Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Me, myself, I go with having the prepared foods only as an occasional thing.

I want my tortoises to grow as much as they would in the wild as possible. I don't want a quick growth just to make an animal of mine more sellable or into a production machine. (no offensive meant to those who do). I just think nature has been doing this for all these years, who am I to change things? I don't have them to make a buck, so where is the hurry? It's like human girls can give birth at 13 years old, but is that really the best interest in the long run of either the breeder (the 13 yr old girl in this case) or the offspring she produces? Problems may not show up today, but what about in the future? I think breeding any animal too young or too much, will down the line increase problems and create weaker animals.

I think the animal misses out on many things going with the pelleted, beside the dietary parts of the picture. There is the more mental aspects with things like the different food textures, the different smells, the act of ripping, tearing and grazing for examples. That's also why my tortoises not only get as wide of a variety of food items, but most are served whole leafed and whole plants to graze as possible.

It's funny, I take my tortoises diets and environments very seriously, but not my human children. :p :rolleyes: :D I am one who is working towards trying to be able to grow as much of my own tortoise food needs as possible from planting two grape vines for each hatchling who walks in the door, to the constant and steady stream of plants being introduced and grown here. Working on several types of feeders, too. :cool: :D

When I feed the Mazuri I just don't find the same enthusiasm from my tortoises. Perhaps even more importantly, tho yes it is quick and easy to have on hand and to feed, it lacks something for me, too. I find myself not taking the same time with my tortoises or interest. Not sure how to explain it to you, but I just end up losing something, something very valuable to me, when I go with the easy prepared food. :(

It may work for others, for their needs and their tortoises needs, just isn't my own opinion of what is right for my own household. ;)

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I am very novice to contribute to the advice given here, but this has been one of the best discussion on this forum. Thanks to all those that have contributed their knowledge and know hows. It is obvious that we all view things differently. From the breeder to the general care-giver...

Together, we might just find out the answers to all of these questions.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
EricIvins said:
With proper husbandry, Tortoises or any Reptile for that matter don't have "slow" metabolisms........Keep them at 78 Degrees, and yes, they have quite slow metabolisms as any Ectotherm will.........It was over 90 Degrees today, so core body temps were late 80's, low 90's under cover.......The Torts that were sunning themselves were of course higher......

Reptile metabolisms are more efficient than a Mammals when they are given the proper temperature choices.......Something alot of keepers tend to overlook or neglect altogether........

How does this reconcile with things like digestive processing in a reptile takes roughly twice as long as it does for a mammal or bird, or that clinical formulas for calorie needs run 1/2 those of mammals?

I am also curious what you mean by their digestive systems being more efficient- how do you mean this?

R

rosefarrales

Both works, but i think prepared food is more preferable. For my tortoise i usually prepare food. According to me its healthy and safe for our tortoise if we feed them food prepared by our-self..

Thank you..!

Status
Not open for further replies.