DIY traumas

Louise C

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi Everyone,

Just been making some more adjustments to Pedro's enclosure (again!) and it really struck me how you no one ever told you that you'd need to be a DIY genius to keep a tortoise. Now I can put together a flat pack from Ikea no problem but if I actually have to take a saw and a drill and put something together it's major undertaking.

Just had to move Pedro's tube light which was on the top - I was going to use a cleverly designed mix of wood and wire to suspend the light closer but failed miserably in the execution. Had to fit to the back wall instead (more drilling) which meant I had to move the heat lamp position (and more drilling). Got the measurements all wrong, put the brackets in backwards......oh it was a fun afternoon. Pedro meanwhile had a great time digging up the carpet in the dining room and re-arranging furniture in my daughters doll house (it's too cold and wet to go outside now in Scotland). Just about had a nervous breakdown but it's all sorted now......until the next "problem" arises.

If anyone is wondering, I do have a husband but I wouldn't trust him with a drill. He is on "tortoise police" duty to keep my kids out of the way of Pedro and my drill. I think Pedro likes the improvements at least..

10708418_728776537175412_563823015_n.jpg

Nailed it!
10707920_727160300670369_2028815600_n.jpg

Pedro's perch

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will be doing more. It just comes with owning a tort. I can't tell how big your tort is, but that water dish is not a good one or safe one. Torts have been known to drown in them. A clay flower pot saucer with low sides work better and is safer.

Louise C

Edinburgh, Scotland
Thanks Wellington....I know ....thinking I'm going to have to extend his indoor living quarters in a few years and honestly dreading the thought! I am not a natural at carpentry. Pedro is 13cm and he can just about turn around in it and the water comes up no higher than the join on his shell. He climbs in and uses the edge as leverage to get up on top of his hide (hence the peek-a-boo shot) he's fallen in shell first more than a few times and his head can't touch the water plus he's expert at righting himself. I had a shallower dish like below (with my poor baby Henry) but Pedro is too big for it.