DIY Turtle Habitat

Beanie RES

Any suggestion for a fifteen years old girl with an RES of about two inches on how to DIY an outdoor turtle habitat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes! It's quite easy. But you'll probably have to wait until spring. Shop around and look for the cheapest price on those little blue plastic kiddie pools. K-Mart usually has them for under $10. Place a brick or some sort of "island" in the middle, add water, and there ya go!! You can place it partially under a tree so the sun isn't shining totally on it. That way it won't get too hot for the turtle.

http://reviews.truevalue.com/9048/3...und-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=reviewTextLength

Beanie RES

Yes! It's quite easy. But you'll probably have to wait until spring. Shop around and look for the cheapest price on those little blue plastic kiddie pools. K-Mart usually has them for under $10. Place a brick or some sort of "island" in the middle, add water, and there ya go!! You can place it partially under a tree so the sun isn't shining totally on it. That way it won't get too hot for the turtle.

http://reviews.truevalue.com/9048/3...und-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=reviewTextLength
:) actually I live in a tropical country.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Yvonne is right, that IS an easy DIY enclosure ;)

I did something similar for a small RES. Bought a 2' x 3' x 16" deep cement mixing tub, filled it with water, added rocks and something for the turtle to hide under and tah -dah!

o5pb2t.jpg

I've also used rubbermaid totes

2e6ew5u.jpg

You can always get fancy with the aquatic plants, filter etc. later on down the line.

Like Yvonne said, make sure part of it is shaded AND either cover it or bring in the turtle at night... trust me, I know.. :(

21ljxfm.jpg