Do I need ceramic heater and a uvb and a regular lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uralkral

5 Year Member
currently i have a ceramic heater and a uvb florescent lamp in my baby tortoises enclosure. the heater is on the left side and the uvb lamp is on the right side of the enclosure (they are only about a foot or two apart) the temperature right under the heater is around 90-94F. however my babies never come right under the heater and bask for a while. i am wondering if its not bright enough or what? or is it because they dont need to bask right under the thingy? (i have two 5 month old greek ibera)

i was also considering to put a flat stone right under the heater so that maybe they would like the heat of hot stone too. or is it because its not warm enough?

they are usually awake when i wake up in the morning waiting for their food so idk if they bask for a while while im asleep. when i wake up i turn their uvb light on. the lamp illuminates the enclosure but of course its not as bright as a regular lamp after all.

also my babies go back to sleep right after they eat their food. i dont know if i should be worried but they both seem pretty healthy.

thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Personally, I would not use a ceramic heat emitter as my daytime basking spot.
Even though the temp sounds right, you can't underestimate the importance of good lighting. Just a UV light is probably too dark.

Putting stone under the basking bulb is a great idea.

Sent from my TFOapp

uralkral

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
Even though the temp sounds right, you can't underestimate the importance of good lighting. Just a UV light is probably too dark.

Sent from my TFOapp

Thanks for your reply. I live in Wisconsin so i think i will turn off the ceramic emitter and turn the light on in the morning then turn off the light and turn the ceramic emitter at night because it gets below freezing point in winters. Does that sound right?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Just so long as the ambient temp doesn't go below their natural Temps. Do you have a temp gun? If not, I suggest you get one and test all their temps. Is the daytime weather too cool for them to be out getting sunshine? Personally, I would get a MVB (mercury vapor bulb) 100w because it gives off a lot of light and heat beside the uvb. It's the perfect solution.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Do I need ceramic heater and a uvb and a regular lamp?

uralkral said:
Team Gomberg said:

Sent from my TFOapp

Thanks for your reply. I live in Wisconsin so i think i will turn off the ceramic emitter and turn the light on in the morning then turn off the light and turn the ceramic emitter at night because it gets below freezing point in winters. Does that sound right?

But does this mean you will only have the UV light on during the day?

I'm suggesting you have the UV AND a basking light on during the day. Right now you use the CHE as a basking spot. I don't suggest turning it off without replacing it first with a light bulb.

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.