Do not kill the messenger. Hibiscus-a-go-go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
We know our tortoises, most all, love those hibiscus flowers. Well, for tortoises, for garden and for major eye candy for us, I share this with you:

http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com/acatalog/index.htm

As is our usual protocol, please wait a few months to be very sure that any systematic fertilizers or hormones that may be used by the grower are not in the plant and therefore not in the edible flower. Better safe than sorry.

Hope you like.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi BeeBee*BeeLeaves,

Do you have a good conversant relationship with these people? The blooms are great, but I would be more interested to find out which ones are more 'bushy' and produce more foliage. They have a subpage about foliage, but it's all images of flowers. Maybe the root stock that the grafted flowers go on would be a foliage producers. Lots of leaves are more important to me than the flowers.

I could ask too, they have some mystery persons' sulcata on their page, so I would figure they might have tipped their hat, on the foliage producers. But maybe you already know?

Will

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Will, I don't. I just ordered but I did it based on the flowers only. Oh, those flowers! However, I was scanning another website from a person in Florida last night and I noticed that he actually states little things like that. Check this out ... he says things about the bush itself in describing the flowers.

http://www.fancyhibiscus.com/catalog.html

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I've been to that website! Those hibiscus are so prettyyyy! :D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Aren't they? They are so crazy wild beautiful. Who knew the hibiscus people were creating such psychedelic ones.
I ordered 6, for my tortoises. Okay. For me. Eye candy. Guilty!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com/acatalog/htiliaceus.htm

This one looked really interesting, when I pawn off the two Mulberry I have on my balcony, I'll get one.

I sold retail nursery stock at a Home Depot, and always advised people to consider the year round 'show' that a plant might offer, interesting foliage, bark, shape, time of year for other features, fall foliage etc. in addition to whatever flower may be on the plant. Some maples winged seeds are such a bright red it looks like it is in bloom, so is the flower itself really the 'show'.

I like that one hibiscus from your initial post, as it will be interesting to look at all year long. Well, that, and that I can feed leaves to the tortoises.

Will

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I ordered mine...will have to see how it looks and does in the pot before I transplant to the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.