What are hibiscus and what is not

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all

I could do with some help on the term hibiscus. I know they are flowers but where is the line drawn.
I've lived in my house now for 18 months and the last owners where mad on gardening. There is absolutely everything in our garden. So when I let torts out in the summer I'm scared to death of them eating something they should not be eating. So how do i determine what is hibiscus and what's not. Is everything that has flowers classed as hibiscus. :confused: For example last year there where bulbs coming up all over the place, don't know most of them but there is daffodils, bluebells and tulips. These look nice but are they hibiscus? Are there any guide lines to look for in hibiscus flowers. In the summer months i'm going to go round my garden taking photos of plant life to post and hopefully you guys can help me.
I've got loads of this stuff growing all year round at my side garden. Not looking too good at the moment because the snow has only just cleared 5 days ago. Can torts eat it, is it a weed or hibiscus.
I'm going to have research plants and flowers for my torts safety.
Also if my tort is in the garden and there is a flower that he shouldn't eat surely he would maybe nibble it then leave it alone, or do I literally have remove all none tort friendly plants from my garden.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

photo.JPG

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi all

I could do with some help on the term hibiscus. I know they are flowers but where is the line drawn.
I've lived in my house now for 18 months and the last owners where mad on gardening. There is absolutely everything in our garden. So when I let torts out in the summer I'm scared to death of them eating something they should not be eating. So how do i determine what is hibiscus and what's not. Is everything that has flowers classed as hibiscus. :confused: For example last year there where bulbs coming up all over the place, don't know most of them but there is daffodils, bluebells and tulips. These look nice but are they hibiscus? Are there any guide lines to look for in hibiscus flowers. In the summer months i'm going to go round my garden taking photos of plant life to post and hopefully you guys can help me.
I've got loads of this stuff growing all year round at my side garden. Not looking too good at the moment because the snow has only just cleared 5 days ago. Can torts eat it, is it a weed or hibiscus.
Also if my tort is in the garden and there is a flower that he shouldn't eat surely he would maybe nibble it then leave it alone, or do I literally have remove all none tort friendly plants from my garden.

View attachment 114167

Another good way to help determine what species of flower or plant you have is, is to take a picture of a sampling of the plant to a nursery in your area...MOST times there is a person who is a botanist and can id them readily....

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Hi all

View attachment 114167

Your plant is a Campanula; not toxic, but not very palatable either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So how do i determine what is hibiscus and what's not. Is everything that has flowers classed as hibiscus.

There are many species in the hibiscus family, but everything with flowers is most definitely not a hibiscus.

My wife likes to grow things from bulbs and all of them that I have checked on have been toxic. There might be a non-toxic bulb plant out there, but I haven't found it.

I think you are going to need to build an enclosure and keep your tortoise away from any plants that you are not sure of.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
There are many species in the hibiscus family, but everything with flowers is most definitely not a hibiscus.

My wife likes to grow things from bulbs and all of them that I have checked on have been toxic. There might be a non-toxic bulb plant out there, but I haven't found it.

I think you are going to need to build an enclosure and keep your tortoise away from any plants that you are not sure of.

I have a couple more thoughts on this:
Almost everything in the family of Hibiscus has edible flowers.
There are some edible bulbs: tulips, grape hyacinths, and the flowers of gladiolus.
Bon apetit.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas

http://www.organicvalley.coop/recipes/features/wild-edibles/please-do-eat-the-daylilies/
http://lilypadbulbs.com/catalog/ediblelilies-c-54.html

But according to
http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm
"NOTE: Many Lilies contain alkaloids and are NOT edible. Day Lilies may act as a diuretic or laxative; eat in moderation."

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
just as tom said in my experience most bulb plants are toxic i worked as a landscaper for a year and half

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco

Your website does not seem to have any supporting documentation for that claim - the mildly toxic component in Hemerocallis is Stypandrol, which is more akin to a Naphthoquinone, so really not an "alkaloid". Farm animals (sheep) that consume vast quantities of daylily foliage have been affected with visual impairment, but Japanese people have been eating the flowers with no harm for centuries. The roots have the highest concentrations of the Stypandrol. I can find no evidence that they are diuretic.

Likewise, many true lilies (Lilium) have been used as food for centuries, but other species have toxic properties. Humans can eat them with gusto, but they are deadly to cats.

The dangers of Tulips are just skin irritation to humans.

Muscari do not present any dangers.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Thanks, Iochroma. Just goes to show not everything on the web is reliable.
I take it daylily FLOWERS are OK for turtles then. I have some daylilies on my property.
Also hybrid Asiatic lilies with huge flowers... maybe i shouldn't experiment with those.