Hibiscus flowers

JenC

Location (City and/or State)
Horseshoe Bay TX
Hi,
I have a question about dried Hibiscus flowers.
I buy the dried flowers at the grocery store to make Hibiscus tea. All it is is the dried flowers you rinse and then boil. It’s popular in Mexico. I do have a Hibiscus Bush in the backyard, but can I also supplement with this dried flower if need be? It’s called Agua de Jamaica.. just curious

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, you can actually use the “soggy” hibiscus remains once you have made your tea. You can feed the dried or rehydrsted. It’s all good.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
OMG, this is such a useful item for feeding tortoises. I've written probably about 20 posts on the topic here on TFO.

The hibiscus you grow is an ornamental, the hibiscus for tea is different, both are good foods. Feed from your backyard the fresh, use the tea kind to make tea FOR the tortoise. Make it cold brew, then use that cold brew to moisten any pelleted food, and the actual bits of tea mixed in with greens.

JenC

Horseshoe Bay TX
Oh wow!
Thank you...I enjoy the tea....
I will have a “Tea Party” with my baby.
Also, the anti-oxidants in the flower are amazing for human health ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh wow!
Thank you...I enjoy the tea....
I will have a “Tea Party” with my baby.
Also, the anti-oxidants in the flower are amazing for human health ?
Also, the "tea" type is made form the calyx of the African hibiscus, not the flowers. This is a totally different plant than the "regular" hibiscus that we all associate with.

The tea one is Hibiscus sabdariffa. Also called African mallow or African rose mallow. I grow this one for tortoise food. Both plants and all their parts are excellent tortoise food.